1. Default San Fransisco Lake Tahoe Yosemite

We're planning a family trip in August picking up an Rv and touring for a few days Lake Tahoe then on to Yosemite before returning to SF to fly home. Any advice on routes and camp sites would be greatly appreciated. We intend to spend about 3 days at each

Default Vital to book Yosemite NP campground.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Have you any extra days for travel or is it a case of going straight to Tahoe and then direct to Yosemite ? For Yosemite you can't beat staying in the National park, but booking is essential immediately the booking window opens. If you are arriving before August 14th I believe the window opens on March 15th and then on April 15th for arrival dates after August 14th. RV sites can sell out within 20 mins of the window opening for the height of summer dates so you would need to get straight on it. One of the 'Pines campgrounds in the valley is highly recommended. Check out the website here.

If you head down to Lee Vining and enter the park over Tioga Pass [which is recommended] then you could spend one night on the east side of the park and spend a little time around Mono Lake and exploring the spectacular sights along Tioga Pass.

Welcome to RTA!

For Yosemite, I would recommend trying to book a campsite inside the park as soon as you can. This means be online at the exact minute the reservations open up, they go REAL fast.

For Tahoe, I'd recommend researching CA and NV state parks first, there are also plenty of commercial campgrounds all around the lake.

From SF to Tahoe, take I-80 to Sacramento, then US-50 if you are going to the south, southwest, or southeast side. If you are going to the west side, take I-80 to CA-89. If you are going to the north or east side, take I-80 to CA-267.

From Tahoe to Yosemite, it all depends where around Tahoe you are, but I'd take US-395 to Lee Vining, then CA-120 in over Tioga Pass.

4. Default

Sounds good thanks. As we are in the UK I had better check the time zones for opening on booking the campsites. Do the sites on the outside sell out as quickly and are they a good option

Default The best option.

If your budget can stand it, there is absolutely nothing like staying within the NP itself. Staying at a location outside the park is definitely a lesser option. If you should miss out on a site, don't give up. Make a point of checking back constantly, to see if you can pick up a cancellation.

Lifey

Default NP camping is good value.

If your budget can stand it,
    I think Lifey may have missed the fact that you are travelling in an RV, National park lodgings are more expensive than those found outside the park, but the campgrounds are mostly better value.

In August the nearest RV parks are also likely to book up quite quickly as they are the next choice after the NP has filled up. RV parks outside can offer more facilities but can't match the scenic surroundings and atmosphere of the NP campgrounds. It could also mean quite a drive each day, queues at the entry kiosks and searching for parking spaces for an RV which can eat up time that you could be spending relaxed in the park, whereas if you camp in the park you can leave the RV where it is and hop on and off the free shuttle buses to much of the park.

Yosemite is on Pacific time, which is GMT -8 in the winter and GMT -7 in the summer. We switch from winter to summer time on March 9 this year.