Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Moving from Lyndhurst NJ to West Sacramento CA

We will be driving our car from NJ to West Sacramento CA on the last week of March.
    It will be a good 3000 miles one way. Going to be driving an 07 Chrysler Pacifica with one other passenger and our stuff.
    I'm looking to take I-80 until I hit the central states then change over to Highway 50 to see the scenic route. That is what my search is telling me... All tips and comments greatly appreciated.

Longest I've driven was from NJ to central FL which was around 1000 miles and an 18 hour ride.
    We don't want to take more than 5 days out on the road, and we're on a budget so recommendations on cheap and good hotel/motels, food joints, and gas stations great appreciated.

Would also like to know which highway/routes/cities/towns/areas to avoid.
    I have just fully tuned up my car, new tires, batteries, brakes, alignment, cooling, etc...
    So we're good to go.

Default It's a Job, Not an Adventure

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The fact is that at just over 2,800 miles this trip is going to take every one of your five days wen if you stick strictly to I-80 from start to finish. You simply won't have time to take any scenic routes. Nor should you try to do more than about 575 miles on any given day. This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, and you need to treat it as the task it is. You need to get a full eight hours of sleep each night. And NO, having a second driver does not help all that much. You both need to be awake and alert throughout and any rest you get in a car is not really of any great use. So, where should you end up each night in order to maintain a proper pace? Toledo, Des Moines, Cheyenne, and Salt Lake City would make good daily goals that would have enough competition for tourist dollars that you should be able to find low-cost lodging. The most numerous such motel chains include Motel 6, Red Roof Inns, Super 8, Travelodge, and Econo Lodge.

Now, not wandering off of I-80 does not mean that you won't have a scenic drive or be able to see any of the country as you head west. You should, in fact, make every effort to take a break from the road every few hours in order to stay fresh and alert. And I-80 itself follows large sections of the old Oregon Trail through Nebraska and Wyoming, as well as traversing the Basin and Range province and the Sierra Nevada.

AZBuck

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If you don't want to take more than 5 days, then scenic detours pretty much have to be out the window. As you mentioned, you've got a trip that's nearly 3000 miles in front of you, and sticking to the interstates, you are already going to have to be on the road for 10+ hours a day. That really is the maximum you should consider driving on a multi-day trip like this, even with multiple drivers. (trying to do 1000 miles/18 hours in one sitting is very dangerous in any situation, and doing it on a multi-day trip is a recipe for a fatal disaster.)

Places you should be looking to stop would be Angola, Indiana; Omaha, NE; Laramie WY; and West Wendover, NE. All of those cities should have plenty of motels to pick from, as well as other services to get you properly rested up for another day on the road.

Default Gread advice.

Best you take note of all of the above comments. If this were me, I would find a sixth day. The dozen times or so I have driven from coast to coast, six days always seemed to be the most comfortable. You will be pretty tired by the time you are half way through this trip, and March could still see some adverse weather. As mentioned, this will need to be a well planned marathon, with safety as the top priority. You have prepared your vehicle well. Prepare yourselves likewise.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Best you take note of all of the above comments. If this were me, I would find a sixth day. The dozen times or so I have driven from coast to coast, six days always seemed to be the most comfortable. You will be pretty tired by the time you are half way through this trip, and March could still see some adverse weather. As mentioned, this will need to be a well planned marathon, with safety as the top priority. You have prepared your vehicle well. Prepare yourselves likewise.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey
    I will extend the trip to 6-7 days then. Which roads did you take when you drove??

I will be extending the trip to a maximum of 6-7 days out on the road. Is that enough time to be on route 50? I have so many people telling me to take route 50 or 60 because of the nice scenery... Will there be a huge difference in fuel totals if I were to stay on the interstate compare to other routes?

Default Weather dependent

My trips have taken me on a wide variety of routes. In your case however, at the time of year you are travelling, and with the extra time, you will have a little time to get off the interstates.

What you might like to look at is something like I-80 to I-70 to US50 and I-80 for the last leg. However, get out a road atlas or some good maps of the States along the route, and see what your options are. You will be best to spend most of your time on the interstates, with ocassional trips of other nearby highways. Especially if they are marked as scenic on paper maps. (With dots along the route.) I-70 through CO and UT is probably one of the most scenic highways you can travel.

Your final decision, however, should be dependent on the weather. Keep an eye on the forecasts a couple of days ahead.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    My trips have taken me on a wide variety of routes. In your case however, at the time of year you are travelling, and with the extra time, you will have a little time to get off the interstates.

What you might like to look at is something like I-80 to I-70 to US50 and I-80 for the last leg. However, get out a road atlas or some good maps of the States along the route, and see what your options are. You will be best to spend most of your time on the interstates, with ocassional trips of other nearby highways. Especially if they are marked as scenic on paper maps. (With dots along the route.) I-70 through CO and UT is probably one of the most scenic highways you can travel.

Your final decision, however, should be dependent on the weather. Keep an eye on the forecasts a couple of days ahead.

Lifey
    That's awesome. Thanks.

Want to save some tolls? Take I-80 into Ohio, then I-76 to I-71 to Columbus to pick up I-70.

Note that US-50 in NV is known as the "Loneliest Road" for a reason and there's a 108 mile stretch of I-70 in UT with no services or cell coverage.

10. Default

If you can make it down to I70 there are good spots to see in Colorado and Utah area in late March time-frame (weather permitting). Spring time is very good time in Utah desert such as Moab Utah.