Thread: Heading West

1. Default Heading West

Wisconsin westward. Planning a road trip at the end of May, going with a great friend and would like any information or advice about outdoor adventure and beautiful scenery. This is the longest road trip I've planned so if anyone had any helpful tips I would always appreciate them too!! Safe travels!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default details

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What kind of help are you looking for here?

Without knowing where you are thinking of heading (there are thousands of square miles west of wisconsin!), how long you'll be gone, etc, it's going to be difficult for anyone to provide you much in the way of assistance.

South of England.

Default Huge target area.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Heading "west from Wisconsin" is a massive target and without more info it's almost impossible to make meaningful suggestions. I would suggest you do a little research to find places of interest to you and get some dots on the map and then answer the questions below and any other details you think are relevant. You can't go far wrong with National and State parks for the great outdoors.

Is this an out and back trip, or one way ? How much time have you got available ? Where west are you heading ?

4. Default

Good point. The route I would like to take is Madison to Fort Collins, Fort Collins to Yellowstone National Park then the last leg I would like to stop at Creator National Park and then drive along the coast towards California then back to Wisconsin. Taking a more direct route back. I would like to spend around five weeks on the road.

5. Default

I'm plannning on a five week road trip. The ideal route would include stops in Fort Collins, Yellowstone National Park, Creator Lake National Park and a drive down the coast. This would be a round trip with the return route heading east from northern California. Thanks for the quick response.

Tucson, AZ

Default Alterations and Additions

First of all, five weeks is a very healthy amount of time to have available for such a RoadTrip. It will allow you the luxury of actually spending considerable time both at the major sites you've listed as well as at some smaller venues that may strike your eye. The main thing that I would suggest is that you do the trip in the opposite direction from what you've outlined, and open up the return portion of the 'loop'. This would have a couple of advantages. Since you're going in spring many of the northern sites such as Crater Lake and Yellowstone will just be emerging from their winter snows, and the longer you can wait before visiting them, the more roads and attractions will be open. Secondly, you could also keep the return route a bit farther north and see more new things throughout your trip.

So, such a route would string together the following major parks and points of interest: the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River in Nebraska, Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Salt Lake, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, Redwood National Park, Crater Lake National Park, Snake River Valley, Yellowstone National Park, Little Bighorn Battlefield, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, and Badlands National Park. And those are just the major sites. If that seems like it would work for you, and even if you come up with a basic plan that works better for you, you're first/next step is to get a good atlas of the U.S. and start looking at what else is along the route you choose in the way of historic, cultural, or scenic attractions that appeal to your individual interests.

Last edited by AZBuck; 02-01-2014 at 10:11 AM.