Default Books about the Desert/Southwest/West?

(Dear Moderator: not sure where to post this thread? Please move, if required.)

I recently came across and read 'Desert Solitaire - A Season in the Wilderness' by the US writer Edward Abbey, about his experiences as a seasonal Ranger in the Arches National Park back in the 1950s. With this book, readers of this forum will need to ignore his less-than-complimentary opinions on 'automobiles' and tourism... and his rather strange and outmoded social/political views. But if you can look beyond those, it is a fascinating and wonderful description of the canyon country of the Southwest, for anyone with even a vague interest in the area (myself included, and I've yet to go there - luckily next year I'll get to see it for myself).

I looked around the books in the RTA shop and couldn't really find anything, so my question is; can any of the members here recommend any other books on the desert/Southwest/West? These could be fictional/memoir/historical/Native American - anything really, as long as they're not just straightforward guide books.

I realize this is not really a Road Trip question as such, but I would love to read more about these parts before my own trip, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommends.

Thanks for your time!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default A couple of suggestions

You can't go wrong with any of Tony Hillerman's novels -- all set in the desert southwest.

Nevada Barr is another favorite writer -- she was a NPS ranger for many years and her stories are set in those parks.

Louis L'Amour wrote an astonishing number of western stories...

For Non-fiction -- John McPhee is my all-time favorite...

"Basin and Range" is what many of us of grew-up on -- great text on geology

"The Control of Nature"

"Rising From the Plains"

Mark, thank you very much!

I will check out all these writers - being European, I haven't heard of any of them. Very interesting.

Cheers. Subman

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default I could list another 200 or so...

Actually, I have dozens of "favorite" books about the southwest on my bookshelf...

I'm late to a meeting, but when I get back I'll add a few more.

I was close friends with 4-5 river runners who considered Edward Abbey a close friend -- he was sort of an odd guy. But he could tell great tales -- and more than a few that were never published.... (Some of his tales were based on experiences survived by my friends).

You know people that knew Abbey?! That's just extraordinary and unbelievably cool! He does come across, in the book, as a very odd guy, and some sort of environmental anarchist I guess. But even so, his passion for this area was quite beautiful to read, especially his experience of Glen Canyon, pre-dam, and the Arches, pre-motorised tourism.

I can't wait to visit some of the places that he described, even if they'll be a little different (more developed) these days.

If you have any more book recommends, I'd be very very grateful.

Thanks. Subman