Cheyenne, Wyoming, United States

Default Cheyenne WY to Sacramento CA to Grand Junction wanted

Hi, everyone!
    I'm new to the forum and could use some help.
    I'm planning a trip Feb. 16-22 to California from Wyoming and then ending in Colorado.
    Basically, I will be driving from WY to CA on one day (the 16th) which will be about 16 hours straight through. I'm not worried as I have done long drives on my own
    I plan on making it to Sacramento at around 8 pm, where I will be meeting/picking up my boyfriend who has been there for work. We'll stay in a hotel then leave the next morning.
    We won't be in a rush to get back so I was looking for ideas of things to do along the way.
    I should mention that we will have our dog along for the ride, so animal friendly is a huge plus.
    Thank you in advance!

South of England.

Default First things first.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I really think you are underestimating the time it will take to get to Sacramento, but either way it's not a good idea to try it in one shot. There is simply no way can you average almost 70 mph for 16 hours straight, even with the most basic of stops for food, fuel, bathroom and rest breaks. It's really unsafe and way beyond what professional drivers are permitted to cover by law. You may get away with these trips, but driving a 2 ton machine at 70 mph plus while fatigued is not recommended. You are looking at 19 hours to cover the miles and that's simply to much as a solo driver to remain alert and awake. This is without consideration for any winter weather disruption you may encounter. Please plan an overnight stop, not only for your safety but for that of those you share the road with. The fact that you say you are not worried makes me worry !

Stay safe.

Joplin MO

Default VERY unsafe!

Welcome to RTA!

I will be driving from WY to CA on one day (the 16th) which will be about 16 hours straight through.
    That is a VERY bad idea, especially in the winter. This is a 1100 mile drive, in order to do this in 16 hours you have to AVERAGE almost 70 mph, which CANNOT be done making ANY stops, whether they be for bathroom, fuel, or whatever. There is no way you can make Sacramento by 8pm, no matter HOW early in the morning you leave.

I'm not worried as I have done long drives on my own
    I have a hard time believing you have done 1100 miles straight through SOLO.

Bottom line, commercial drivers are limited by LAW to 600 miles a day. This is a 2 day drive.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you DID ask for tips.

EDIT: Sorry to pile on, but Dave got his reply in before I did.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Not likely.

I'd have to echo the above concerns. Not only is it more than professionals may drive. You will be passing through and arriving in an urban region at the end of your trip. Your body and brain will be bordering on fatigue, if not already fatigued, and you expect to be able to cope with weekend city traffic which most likely needs a greater degree of concentration than the open road. It's neither wise nor safe. As others have said, factor in an overnight stop.