Default will we miss the point if we miss the views??

Hi we will be a family of five brits travelling LV-Yosemite-Pismo Beach-LA-LV & Grand Canyon over 3 weeks this July. The rest of my family just want to drive straight from FishCamp down to Pismo where we are going to stay 5 days to really chill out. They don't want to head out west to the coast and then drive down the pacific highway taking in Monterey and Big Sur (my husband & 2 of my three kids have already done San Francisco and Lake Tahoe it should be mentioned).

I can see that we will be able to get some day trips out from Pismo up Northwards to see the elephant seals at the lighthouse but by cutting out Monterey and Big Sur completely are we missing out on views of a life-time?? I was not inspired by overnight accommodation options in Monterey and Big Sur accommodation just looks a total rip off

Default Counter productive ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

In reality you are going to miss out on certain things anyway, it's just a case of prioritising your time to suit everyone's tastes. The Big Sur coastline is spectacular but we have spectacular coastline here in the UK and in the past I have prioritised the wonderful National parks of southern Utah over the coast, which is also something you could possibly do, but as I say, it's really up to you as to what pace you travel and how much you want to see. From Yosemite you would only have to add one night to travel around Big Sur and on that count it would be a shame to miss out in my opinion, plus missing options on the way south only to take trips north from Pismo Beach seems a little counter productive.

From what you have said I would also point out that there is no real need to go back to LV before the Grand canyon, just go direct from LA to GC and save some miles, especially if you are flying back out of Vegas.

Ok that's really helpful already thanks Dave - I hadn't got my head around the geography yet though I am printing off simple maps as I see them! We were going to base ourselves in LV to then do day trips out to GC - including a helicopter ride over? If we went straight from our hotel in LA and then out to GC have you any overnight accommodation recommendations? Then we could come back to LV for a night or so before flying home??

The Grand Canyon is not a day trip from Las Vegas. To do the national park's south rim, it's about 270 miles one way. If you're thinking to do the West Rim and the Skywalk, bear in mind that this is NOT national park land, the canyon isn't nearly as deep on that end, and it's EXPENSIVE: $30 per person (last I read) out on the Skywalk, and you are NOT allowed to take photos. As far as a helicopter ride is concerned, that won't take you over the national park Grand Canyon (the best part of that place), it will take you over the West Rim (see above). It's also expensive. You're better off driving to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (about 5 hour drive), see the canyon, stay overnight and move on.

Donna

As Donna mentioned, most tours do not go to the National park and no helicopters land within it, they go to Indian lands and is not the Grand canyon that has been made famous throughout the world through photography and film. If you stay at the canyon or nearby you will also have the opportunity to witness a sunrise and/or sunset over this natural wonder of the world. The Grand canyon village has lodgings and the nearest town to the entry station from the south is Tusayan. Both these options will be more expensive than Williams or Flagstaff or the Cameron Trading post near the east entrance, but if your budget can mange it, there is nothing quite like 'being there'.

As I mentioned previously, I would go direct from LA and then back to Vegas. The trip out will take longer than 5 hours, what Donna is referring to is the time from Las Vegas, but going direct from LA will save you time in the long run. If you can build it into your schedule I would go from LA to Williams or Flagstaff and then visit the canyon the following day and then spend another night nearby before heading back to Vegas the following day, although it would be possible to visit the canyon early and stay till after lunch and then head to Vegas.

Default As above....

Go direct from LA to Flagstaff and next morning head up 89 to the east entrance. The drive along Desert View Drive, with all its view points and overlooks, is not only spectacular, but you will be entering the canyon the same way as the Colorado River. Be sure to stop frequently and savour the views. Spend the rest of the day seeing the other attractions in the Canyon (it is very very large) and if possible, stay for a sunset. Nothing like seeing the colours on the canyon walls at sunset. If you are not staying within the NP, it is a relative easy drive back to Flagstaff.

Lifey

If you are not staying within the NP, it is a relative easy drive back to Flagstaff.
    However, that would be backtracking if you will be moving on to LV the next day. You would want to stay in Tusayan or Williams.

Default My error.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    However, that would be backtracking if you will be moving on to LV the next day. You would want to stay in Tusayan or Williams.
    You are right. It should be Williams. (Tusayan is the expensive option.)

Lifey

As a White Rose of Yorkshire native I’m drawn to post a few thoughts.

Firstly, if a family like yours visited York and said they were not interested in seeing York Minster or the Roman Wall, what would you think!! The Big Sur is almost a must if you have the opportunity; can you imagine what you would think later in life if you don’t get the chance to visit there again.

Why Pismo Beach? Santa Cruz is also an excellent stop for the young in mind where you could have fun and chill out and at the beach. After leaving there it is ideal for taking the Big Sur towards LA. A one night stop along the way would fit in fine.

To save the long mileage from LV to the south rim of the Grand Canyon you can take a fixed wing flight in a small plane, hand full of passengers, with good views of Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and the canyon, from LV for the day. It lands at the Grand Canyon airport where a coach will take you around the south rim and give you some time on your own. But the downside it is not a cheap option.

Have a good trip.