Default Houston to Austin OR Memphis to Nashville?

Hello Everyone,

I hope I am not too vague with the detail below, but i am looking for a bit of general help and perhaps some local knowledge.

Having done Boston to Portland and back last April, enjoying it so much, my wife and I are looking at another road trip in the USA for this summer, probably in June for two weeks

We have been looking at the southern states and have done a little research here in the UK finding that Houston to Austin has come recommended along with Memphis to Nashville.

I understand that both potential trips and destinations are a lot different, so here is my question;

Which would give us the best drive, considering places of interest and stopping points along the route, along with the general scenery?

We are in our early 40's, so not into night clubs but prefer lively bars, big foodies of all cuisines and have no leaning towards a particular music genre, but do appreciate good live music of all types. My wife also loves to dance, but does not get the chance to do so as I have two left feet!

Any guidance would be appreciated

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-15-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added link to previous trip

Default No Wrong Choice

While the two RoadTrips you're considering are significantly different in scenery, history and culture, they could both be enjoyable, interesting and informative. Both could be done as loop trips of about 600 miles, starting and ending in a single base city allowing you to make simple round trip flights and a single local car rental, thus saving some money. So, let's just list a few of the highlights of each.

Houston/Austin: Houston would probably be your base city with the cheapest airfares. Attractions could include the Space Center Houston, the music scene in Austin, President Johnson's boyhood home and the LBJ Ranch, the Alamo, and the beaches of the Gulf Coast.

Memphis/Nashville: Nashville would probably be your base city. Attractions could include Nashville's Country/Western music scene, the Land Between the Lakes, the Mississippi River, Memphis' Blues music scene, Shiloh Battlefield, and the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Both will offer plenty of chances to get out and dance, barbeque joints that brag about being the best (e.g. the Salt Lick outside Austin, Central in Memphis), local cuisine, etc. Weather won't be that different although Houston can get quite muggy in early spring while the hill country west of Austin can be fairly dry, and the Mississippi area will be somewhere in between.

So have a look at the highlights listed in the two paragraphs above and see if any of them particularly strike your fancy. If one trip eventually wins out, we can offer other lesser-known attractions in either area.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.