Default NB Canada to Las Vegas Winter route?

Hi
    My husband and I are planning our first road trip leaving New Brunswick Canada and driving to the Las Vegas strip. We can leave anytime but have hotel reservations Feb 6th in Vegas.
    We'll be driving a Ford Escape AWD and are wondering what the best/safest route to take this time of year. Mapquest and others all suggest driving through either Montreal/Toronto,Chicago down through Colorado. As maritimers we're used to bad weather but don't want to push our luck and would much rather a warmer route. We wouldn't even mind heading down towards West Virginia/Kentucky if it didn't add too many days to the trip. My husband who loves to drive plans on getting there in 5 days, myself on the other hand am thinking 7 or 8 days is more realistic. Another question we have is should we get snow tires instead of our all seasons? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated as we've never driven stateside.
    Thanks, Paula len Beck

Default A Little for a Little

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For an additional 175 miles or so (relatively little on a 3000+ mile trip) you can get yourself a little farther south which may mean slightly warmer temperatures and a slightly reduced chance of wintry precipitation. However no route will guarantee that you won't see bad weather or even cold. Note that the predicted high for Atlanta GA on Monday and Tuesday is 24║F (-5║C). Most importantly NO route between New Brunswick and Las Vegas can be covered in five days. This is a six day minimum drive and you should have a seventh day in reserve when you leave home in case you run into weather that you and your vehicle simply cannot handle such as what's occurring right now.

With all that said, I would 'pay' an extra 200 miles over the shortest possible route and take the following: I-95 down through Maine and New Hampshire to just inside Massachusetts where I-495/I-290 will take you around Boston to the Mass Pike (I-90) west. Follow that for one exit and then take I-84 to the Scranton area where I-380 will make the connection to I-81 south. Using this 'detour' and I-81 will let you avoid coastal Connecticut, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, and Richmond. Near Knoxville TN pick up I-40 west and follow that all the way to Kingman AZ where US-93 north will provide the final link to Las Vegas. There are certainly more than a few sights you might like to see along such a route, particularly in the far southwest when you are nearing the end of your drive and can spend your spare day (if you still have it). These would include Petrified Forest and Grand Canyon National Parks, a number of national monuments, Meteor Crater and Hoover Dam to name just a few.

AZBuck

Thanks so much for such a quick and detailed reply, you laid out a route we were hoping for but had no idea how to do, especially avoiding the coastal areas. I think we'll take a week or longer- worse case scenerio we'll get there earlier, just don't want to be too late. Thanks for sights to see list, we are booked in Vegas for 8 days but are planning a 5+ day stay with friends in Arizona to take in a bluegrass festival and the sights. Thanks so much :)

All season tires are plenty good in an AWD vehicle as long as they are in good shape. If the roads get bad enough where you would need snow tires or chains, you should get off the road and find a hotel anyway.

thanks glc, I'm not to familiar with the weather in any of these areas so wasn't sure I spoke with a friend tonight and more or less said the same thing, what we have should do- if not grab a hotel and get off the road to the weather clears :)