1. Default Article: Point Reyes National Seashore - Point Reyes Station, California

Las Vegas, Nevada

When I was living in northern California, this was my all-time favorite place to go to capture photos of winter storm waves. The rip currents going out to sea were sometimes nearly as large as the incoming swells and the collision of tons of water + wind creates some great photo effects.

Default Force of nature.

What struck me most when making a visit was the physical effects of The San Andreas Fault which bisects the Point Reyes peninsula from the California mainland. The Pacific plate is estimated to creep northwestward about two inches a year but the North American plate moves south. Result is a very obvious gorge across the landscape.

Apparently a very dramatic displacement of this fault occurred in 1906 when the Point Reyes Peninsula leapt 20 feet northwestward.

Point Reyes is an excellent place to visit. Evidence of the forces of the sea and land.

Just north of San Francisco, near route 1, but involves a degree of walking to see the sights.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Very cool observation.

Thanks Mark. It is a wonderful place to visit and leaves good memories.

Point Reyes well illustrates the need to allow time on a trip to visit these gem off the beaten track places which are scattered about California, as well as other states, and absorb the many flavours they offer.

The downside of a whistle- stop trip is you only scratch the surface of a place before moving on.

Happy New Year to all looking in. Eris.