Default Advice for first road trip. San Fran-LA-Grand Canyon-Vegas-Yosemite-San Fran

Hi everyone,

Newbie here planning my first road trip for my honeymoon next year. It will be my first time in America and I am hoping to get some advice on my route and what to see on it. We are quite flexible and willing to change what I have came up with if recommended. We want to see a lot and take our time on the longer drives and have stop offs to see the sights. I'm not sure if I should break up the LA-Yosemite drive and stay somewhere in between

I have a rough sketch for my route which is below and hopefully you can fill me in if you think its too much and also point me in the direction of places to see things to do on my way.

All help and advice appreciated

Stephen

Day 01 27th May - Arrive at SF Airport Late Afternoon

Day 02 28th May - San Francisco

Day 03 29th May - San Francisco

Day 04 30th May - Drive from San Francisco to Monterey

Day 05 31st May - Drive from Monterey to Los Angeles

Day 06 1st June - Los Angeles

Day 07 2nd June - Los Angeles

Day 08 3rd June - Drive from Los Angeles to Grand Canyon

Day 09 4th June - Grand Canyon

Day 10 5th June - Drive from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Day 11 6th June - Las Vegas

Day 12 7th June - Drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite (Tioga Pass Rd Route if open)

Day 13 8th June - Yosemite

Day 14 9th June - Yosemite

Day 15 10th June - Yosemite

Day 16 11th June - Drive from Yosemite to San Francisco

Day 17 12th June - San Francisco

Day 18 13th June - San Francisco

Day 19 14th June - Fly Home :(

Default I Like Your Pace

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Oftentimes people will try to squeeze too much into a RoadTrip when relaxation is much more the order of the day. This is particularly true of a honeymoon RoadTrip. So I applaud your restraint in designing your itinerary and I won't be suggesting any additional miles. Instead, I'd just like to point out a few more relaxing venues in the locations you'll already be visiting. One such is the Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo, one of the original Spanish missions and still a functioning parish church. Just south of there, along the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), are a number of great state parks, none more romantic than Julia Pfeiffer Burns Sate Park. In Flagstaff, south of the Grand Canyon, there is an excellent anthropology museum that can give you an accurate depiction of aspects of Native American life. You may also want to consider driving through Death Valley on your way from Las Vegas to Yosemite. And yes, there have been a few years over the past 20 or so when Tioga Pass has not been opened by June 7th, so a call to them or check of their or the Caltrans websites would be in order before departing Las Vegas.

AZBuck

Default Good job.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have done a great job with your planning but a couple of tweaks could be useful. I would consider driving to Monterey on the afternoon of the 29th and on the 30th spend the night in the Cambria area so that you can enjoy some of Monterey and the scenic drive around Big Sur down the coast. Hopefully the Tioga will be open by the time you travel but you could stop on route to Yosemite and spend a little time in Death Valley. Bishop would be a good spot with Tioga open, but if not you would have to go south around the mountains and then you could stop around Lake Isabella area or get closer and stay around Fresno.

Thanks for the welcome guys and I really appreciate the feedback. I'm so excited about this now that we are into the new year. I'm eager now to get a route set in stone so I can start making bookings

I've decided to shorten the route and miss out Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon so we won't have as many long drives. I agree that its very easy to squeeze in too much and I initially did before I posted - I had a few days in Yellowstone crammed in too but decided we will already have enough to see and do on the route we have and I'm sure we will find plenty more things. It's not like Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon aren't going anywhere and maybe once we have a little family tagging along with us we will go visit them

So here is my amended route. I don't know a thing about Barstow and it was really just thrown in as it looked a logical place to stop on googlemaps to break up the journey

Comments and suggestions again are more than welcome

Day 01 27th May - Arrive at SF Airport Late Afternoon
    Day 02 28th May - San Francisco
    Day 03 29th May - San Francisco
    Day 04 30th May - Drive from San Francisco to Monterey
    Day 05 31st May - Drive from Monterey to Cambria/Morro Bay
    Day 06 1st June - Cambria/Morro Bay
    Day 07 2nd June - Drive from Cambria/Morro Bay to Los Angeles
    Day 08 3rd June - Los Angeles
    Day 09 4th June - Drive from Los Angeles to Barstow
    Day 10 5th June - Drive from Barstow to Death Valley
    Day 11 6th June - Drive from Death Valley to Bishop
    Day 12 7th June - Drive from Bishop to Yosemite (Tioga Pass Rd Route)
    Day 13 8th June - Yosemite
    Day 14 9th June - Yosemite
    Day 15 10th June - Yosemite
    Day 16 11th June - Drive from Yosemite to San Francisco
    Day 17 12th June - San Francisco
    Day 18 13th June - San Francisco
    Day 19 14th June - Fly Home :(

Default Vegas ?

I'm not sure you need to break the journey between LA and Death valley with an oovernight in Barstow, but there is nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do. You could quite easily put Las Vegas back in your plans and drive direct from LA and then leave during the afternoon of the following day for Death valley, giving you a little time to look around. Visiting Vegas while seeing the east side of Death valley would only add about 90 miles to your trip. Furnace Creek is a popular spot for lodgings in DV and would leave you in a good place to explore DV before exiting the park to Bishop. Remember you will have to double check the status of Tioga Pass before heading north, it's possible it could be closed.

Thanks again. I may add Vegas back in. I thought it was further out but looking back at the map it wouldn't be much of an addition. I will make a back up plan incase Tioga Pass is closed but I'm optimistic about it being open

Hi, just read your thread and thought I would add a few comments. First, so,jealous! Second my family and I did a similar trip and stayed in a few places that may be of interest to you. Death Valley - we lodged at stovepipe wells. Most Beautiful sunrise not to be missed.
    Yosemite - a most amazing place and the highlight of my holiday. Walking through the mariposa trees - unreal how big they are.
    We also visited cambria. This was a last minute stop. It is a lovely little town. They even have a special doggy park with a fire hydrant in the middle! We stayed at the best western fireside inn. A really nice hotel right by the side of the sea. There is a wooden walkway going along the coast line outside the hotel and there are loads of squirrels and rabbits running around. Enjoy your holiday x