1. Default from KS to Va preference between I-70 and I-64?

Leaving KS to head back to VA anyone have a preference between I-70 and I-64 as the main route back East?

Default That Depends

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that, wherever I'm leaving from in Kansas, I will have to end up funneling through Kansas City (and St. Louis), then my choice of routes eastward from there would depend on where in Virginia I was headed. If it's the DC area, I'd use I-70, but slip down on I-79 to I-68 to avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike. If I were headed for Richmond or anywhere south of that, I'd use I-64. You've given us nothing else to base any advice on.

AZBuck

3. Default good point

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that, wherever I'm leaving from in Kansas, I will have to end up funneling through Kansas City (and St. Louis), then my choice of routes eastward from there would depend on where in Virginia I was headed. If it's the DC area, I'd use I-70, but slip down on I-79 to I-68 to avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike. If I were headed for Richmond or anywhere south of that, I'd use I-64. You've given us nothing else to base any advice on.

AZBuck
    I'm starting just outside of Atchison KS and ending up in Leesburg VA which is about 30 miles SW of DC, google maps give me three routes to choose from. Coming out I did the one that was largely on 1-70 but also included I-68, some back roads in PA, a small stretch of the turnpike in pa,

coming home I was contemplating the southern route along I-64 to stay south of any nasty weather but its about 70 mi longer so I wondered if anyone had a strong preference for i-70

Default That Old Canard

The idea that driving a few miles farther south will significantly lessen your chances of seeing wintry weather is simply false. That is particularly true in the Midwest and East where you'll be driving. Storms in this neck of the woods tend to line up along fronts that run north/south, rather than east west, carrying their winter precipitation all the way up and down the back side of the front. What is true is that the farther south you go the less capable the local road crews will be in handling any snow, sleet, or freezing rain. And actually it also makes it more likely that you'll see the worst weather possible, a combination of all forms of cold precipitation.

Going south is not the answer, having the spare time to be able to sit out any untoward weather is. You need to simply be able and willing to get off the road if weather, or fatigue, or any other factor turns against you. Otherwise the two routes (I-70 vs. I-64) are a wash in terms of both time and distance, although on the 'I-64' route I'd probably use I-79 from Charleston to Morgantown WV and use I-68/I-70 into Leesburg.

AZBuck

My software says the I-70/I-79/I-68/I-70 route is fastest. The only non-Interstate on this route is US-59/MO-273 from Atchison to I-29 and US-15 from I-70 to Leesburg.