Longview, Washington, United States

Default Portland, OR to Bay Area Six Flags w/ kids

My wife and I just purchased a new car and are excited to go on a road trip. We will be taking our 4 children (7, 9, 13, and 17) to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. We will also see family while we are there. I am interested in some helpful tips as well as any must see sites down the I-5 corridor.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

How great is that, a new car and a road trip! How long do you have for the trip down? It's about 700 miles down, so allow at least a day and a half, or possibly two if you can.

Things along the way that I think of are the Valley of the Rogue State Park and Crater Lake in OR. However, the latter may not be very available in the spring because of the snow. You are also not that far away from Mt Lassen National Park, which also may have snow issues in the spring. Right along the side of I-5, really, are Shasta Lake (and the dam) and Mt Shasta.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The two big variables for your trip are, how much time do you have, and when will you be taking this trip?

Donna indicated some of the things nearby, but as she also mentioned, snow could be a significant factor -it could also impact your actual drive along I-5 too. If you are thinking of doing this drive in one day (not recommended) you certainly would not have any extra time available for any extras stops or detours.

Melbourne, Australia

Default To mention one area.

With four children and two or three days, you could make the roadtrip part as exciting as the visits to theme parks. Just to mention one area, the Humboldt Redwoods State Park with its drive through tree - and many other sites of interest and history. Only a short drive from there is Cape Mendicino - the most Westerly point of the 48 States - with its black beaches, lighthouse and off shore sights.