1. Default North or South Route from SF To Waco, TX road trip in Late Jan

Hi,

Just want to get some suggestions in regards to which route would be safer to drive during winter season. I did a road trip in May from Austin, TX to SF after my sister graduation. We took the I-40 going through New Mexico & Arizona then up to Utah and took I-50 back into CA. It was a really fun trip.

Now my sister got a job in Waco and need to take her car back to TX. We want to do another road trip. This time we don't plan to take that many stops since we don't have that much time. I am considering to take I-70 going through Colorado because I never been there, but I am afraid of the road condition. Since it is winter season and the car is just a Honda Accord, I am afraid of driving on snow and Ice as I don't have that much experience and the car does not has 4-wheel drive especially when I need to drive through mountains. Also, I read on some of the threads that the weather on I-40 is very unpredictable and can have severe snow storm.

Here's my plan
    North route: I-50 then I-70 arrive at Denver. Then take I-25 > US-87 > US-287 to Waco.

South route: I-5 to I-40 then US-84

Can someone suggestion which road and/or route will be safe to drive on for a Honda Accord during January. I am thinking of getting snow chains just in case. Do you think it is necessary?

Thank you

Welcome to RTA!

Generally, the "best" route in the winter is the most direct route using Interstates and major highways. In your case, that would be:

I-5/CA-58/I-40 to Amarillo
    US-287 to Fort Worth, then I-35W to Waco

This is about 1800 miles and will be a MINIMUM 3 day drive. You shouldn't need chains, if the roads are THAT bad you have no business being on them, go find a hotel till it clears up.

Default Wait and see.

There is no way of predicting the weather this far in advance and nowhere is immune from winter weather in January. You won't have any problems finding lodgings so I would say your best course of action is to check out your options along your preferred route but also have back up plans in place. The 'best' route in my opinion is the one that appeals to the individual the most, but of course weather and time available play a part in the decision making. You can then check up to date weather forecasts and road conditions before heading out each day. I'd allow for at least 3 overnight stops and have a day spare as a cushion in case of weather delays.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post

This is about 1800 miles and will be a MINIMUM 3 day drive. You shouldn't need chains, if the roads are THAT bad you have no business being on them, go find a hotel till it clears up.
    You took the words right out of my mouth glc. If you can't go in a front wheel drive vehicle, you should not be out on the road. Not to mention the fact that installing chains is not a whole lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by glc
    Generally, the "best" route in the winter is the most direct route using Interstates and major highways. In your case, that would be:

I-5/CA-58/I-40 to Amarillo
    US-287 to Fort Worth, then I-35W to Waco
    Yeah, that really looks like the best route.

Wanted to add a comment about this:

Here's my plan
    North route: I-50 then I-70 arrive at Denver. Then take I-25 > US-87 > US-287 to Waco.
    The northeast corner of New Mexico, where US Hwy. 87 cuts across from Raton to Clayton and Dalhart, gets the worst weather in the whole state. When the really strong storms come down off the Rocky Mtns., it can get pretty bad up there. I wouldn’t go that way unless I was very sure of clear weather.

Should also note that I-25 south of Denver / Colorado Springs / Pueblo can get a lot of snow.
    Last edited by howard; 12-16-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo

Another comment - Ruth makes reference to I-50 and I'm pretty sure she means US 50. There's a reason they call it "The Lonliest Road In America" - it's very remote and lightly populated. It is most certainly not the place you would want to be in a winter storm.
    Last edited by Charlie H; 12-16-2013 at 09:57 AM.