Default Winter Road Trip to Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Dallas, OKC, Memphis, Little Rock

Hello,

This is my first time posting, hope you can give me some advice for my coming road trip.

Here is the plan, my girlfriend and I are from Seattle and want to go to South to avoid the cold.

My plan is:

Fly from Seattle - Houston

Rent a car, Houston-New Orleans-Mobile-Houston (12/16~12/26)

Fly from Houston - Dallas (because I can only do round-way car rental... any other way to get to Dallas from Houston?)

Dallas- Little Rock- Memphis- OKC- Dallas (12/26~01/02)

Fly back to Seattle from Dallas

Do you have any suggestion for the attractions on the road and above destinations?
    and where to spend the new year eve is the best?

Thank you very much!!!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you need to split this trip into 2 sections.

Yes, car rentals are cheaper if you do a round trip, but why not solve that by just doing one big round trip - flying into and out of the same city? Not only is that going to save you on car rental, and avoiding having to pay for transit between Houston and Dallas, but it will allow you to take a much more logical loop - rather doubling back to Texas twice.

In other words, you'd go from Houston to NOLA to Mobile, but then rather than head back to Houston, head north to Memphis, Little Rock, and OKC, before going back down to Dallas and finishing in Houston.

For that matter, you could start/end your trip at any city on the loop, based on where you find the cheapest flight and car rental.

If you want to keep your current "two city" plan, then I still wouldn't fly between Dallas and Houston. Megabus - or perhaps some other bus option - is going to be much cheaper and almost take you less time once you factor in airport security.

Default Here, There, and In Between

I totally agree with Michael that unless there are considerations that you're not telling us about, it makes much more sense to do a simple loop trip from one city. Doing so reduces both your costs and the number of miles you'll be driving while actually increasing the number of different places and things that you can visit. I would therefore join him in urging you to reconsider the basic plan for your trip to fly into whichever city offers the cheapest round-trip fare from the UK, rent the car there, and return it there before you fly back to Britain.

Some things that you might want to see along the way would include the Creole Nature Trail in southwestern Louisiana, the old State Capitol and the Mississippi river in Baton Rouge, the French Quarter and Jackson Square in New Orleans, Gulf Islands National Seashore off the coasts of Mississippi and Alabama - all on the 'Houston' portion of your proposed RoadTrip.

Then there's Graceland, Beale Street and Mud Island in Memphis, Talimena Scenic Drive in western Arkansas - eastern Oklahoma, the Oklahoma City Memorial, the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, the Red Earth Museum (Native American heritage), Murray State Resort Park, and the Sixth Floor Museum - all on the 'Dallas' portion .f your trip.

In addition, if you do this all as a single loop you get to add a few sites on the eastern end of the loop as you join Mobile and Memphis including Noxubee National Wildlf3 Refuge, a bit of the Natchez Trace Parkway, and Elvis' birthplace in Tupelo MS. On the western end, the connection between Dallas and Houston can be made, as Michael noted, almost as fast by car via I-45 when you take into account the fact that you have to show up at the airport a couple of hours before your flight and then waste time at the other end deplaning and going through the process of renting a second car.

AZBuck

I would therefore join him in urging you to reconsider the basic plan for your trip to fly into whichever city offers the cheapest round-trip fare from the UK, rent the car there, and return it there before you fly back to Britain.
    Looks to me like they are from Seattle, not the UK. Same principles apply though, one loop.

I would *guess* that New Orleans would be a great place to spend New Year's Eve, if you can get reservations anywhere at this late date.

Assuming there is a good reason for splitting your trip as you indicate, you might check in to renting another car for the Houston to Dallas drive. If there is no drop-off charge, that might be the cheapest way to go.

Cajun country around Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, New Iberia and St. Martinsville is a great place to visit and if you enjoy eating, there are some great restaurants. It would add a few miles and some timet to your trip but you could take US 90 from Lafayette in to New Orleans and it would be much more interesting than I-10.

If you have never been aboard a battleship, you might consider the tour of the Battleship Alabama in Mobile - they are truly amazing.

We decided to fly to Dallas because we bought the one-way ticket from Seattle to Houston first (pretty early and cheap) and started planning our trip. Later, we realized one way car rental was too expensive ( We wanted to go one way instead of a loop, so we can drive less). And found out the ticket from Houston to Seattle was very expensive (don't know why). And because we need to return the car to where we pick up the car. So we think it's better to fly to Dallas, so we can pick up and return the car at airports (in IAH and DFW)....

Anyway, thank you for all of you replies. We are now in OKC...we have been to Houston, NOLA, and to Mobile, and most of the places you mentioned...

Again, I do really appreciate your replies!!!

We're glad you're having a good trip, although I still don't understand how you figure that driving this trip in two parts is saving you any driving time vs just one big loop. If anything, it seems like you'll be spending a lot more time traveling, because you're doing a lot more backtracking.

Again, I'm really not understanding at all what you are currently doing for a plan, but if you are still looking to get from Houston to Dallas, I'd take the bus for that leg over dealing with airlines and security any day of the week - not to mention the cost savings. It is also usually much cheaper to rent a car from a location within a city, rather than at the airport itself, especially when you factor in airport taxes and fees.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Yep...you are right, it was a big mistake... Unfortunately, we are already halfway through the trip...
    Just see it as a lesson, we should have planned it much more better...

Now, we are looking for a place for the New Year celebration around Memphis/Little Rock, any suggestion?