1. Default Planning a 2 weeks summer road trip from San Francisco to Vancouver with 3 kids.

Hi dear, I need help to plan my summer road trip from San Francisco to Vancouver. My kids are 11, 8,and 6. I would like to only drive 3 hours the most everday to next stop and stay in a place for activities. I want to take different route on my return. It will be a 2 weeks trip. Thanks.

Default The Two and Only

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are only two routes available between San Francisco and Vancouver that will let you make the drives up and back in two weeks while only driving three hours a day. Those are the interstate, I-5, and the major US highway, US-101. US-101 will probably take a day longer (6 in total) for the drive because it is often only a two-lane road and goes through a number of coastal towns. So, for general planning purposes, where would be good places to stop along each of those routes about three hours apart? And what would be a good 'attraction' nearby?

I-5:
    Redding CA (Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity NRA)
    Grants Pass OR (Valley of the Rogue SP)
    Salem OR (State Capitol, Ankeney NWR)
    Olympia WA (State Capitol, Nisqually NWR, Millersylvania SP, Wolf Haven International)
    Vancouver BC

US-101:
    Willits CA (Mendocino County Museum, Ridgewood Ranch)
    Arcata CA (Redwood National Park)
    Port Orford OR (Humbug Mountain State Park)
    Florence OR (Oregon Dunes NRA)
    Garibaldi OR (Manhattan Beach SRA, Cape Meares NWR)
    Olympia WA (State Capitol, Nisqually NWR, Millersylvania SP, Wolf Haven International)
    Vancouver BC

You'll note that between Olympia WA and Vancouver BC you really only have one choice of route, I-5/BC-99, because US-101 wraps around the Olympic Peninsula and would take far too long to drive to be included in this RoadTrip. I'd suggest WA-107/US-12/WA-8 to make the connection between US-101 just north of Raymond WA and Olympia. It should be well marked.

You can drive those routes in either direction as your preference or schedule dictate. Also be aware that some of the best 'attractions' along these routes won't necessarily be at your overnight stopping points. A good example is Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark made camp when they reached the Pacific Coast. So you should consider some days breaking up your three hour drive into even shorter segments with your major stop during the day.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thank you AZBuck. I will study the route and ask you more questions later. Thanks