1. Default Planing a trip from san diego to los angeles. san francisco. and...

Hey guys me and my cusin just found out about this site and his pretty awosome and in our case a life saver because we are clueless.

were planing a road trip from san diego to los angeles to san francisco and through yosemite park and all the vally areas to las vegas naveda. after that we have a pretty open mind about the rest of the trip and we thouget that well just go with it.
    we dont know how long will our trip be but the minimum is three months.

in each place we alsso want to see the area and stay there for some time.

we dont know if we should travel by car that well buy and sleep in it in rest parks and such.. or if we should just rent one in every new place and sleep in motels and at friends places. or if there is another way (we allso thoghet about buing a van and modifie it)

we have 17,000 dollars each but we do want to expend the trip to more then just those places we mentiond in the start.

so baissicly what were asking for here is advices on what way is the best to travel and ideas you can give us for the rest of our trip.

thank you all very much for all the help and sorry about my english

Welcome to RTA!

Initial questions - are you a US resident and how old are all of you?

Also - the trip will start in San Diego, I assume it will end there too? What is the date you are planning on leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by love shack View Post
    we dont know if we should travel by car that well buy and sleep in it in rest parks and such.. or if we should just rent one in every new place and sleep in motels and at friends places. or if there is another way (we allso thoghet about buing a van and modifie it)
    we have 17,000 dollars each but we do want to expend the trip to more then just those places we mentiond in the start.
    It sounds like you are not US citizens. That would make buying a vehicle very difficult. It's not impossible, but very difficult.

Sleeping in your car anywhere isn't really recommended. You won't get the restful sleep you'll need for driving, it's not safe in many areas, and you'll be sick of your vehicle after a few days and want to sleep in a motel anyway.

"Rent one in every new place" probably would be the more expensive way to go. If your trip is a loop, that's the most reasonable way to rent a vehicle. One way is a little more expensive, usually, because there is a one-way drop-off fee in most places, ranging $500-750. When you are pricing vehicle rentals, be sure that you mention it is for 3 months. Some vehicle rental places will ask that you bring a car in for service after a month or so many miles, and tell you where you can do that (oil changes, fluid checks, etc).

As far as overnights are concerned, there are several ways you can go. First is to pick up a cheap tent and sleeping bags, and plan to camp out in national forests, national parks, state parks along the way. We used to mix that with a motel every 3rd or 4th night (to enjoy a real bed and a shower). You can use cheaper motels exclusively. Staying at friends' homes works, as does couch-surfing. There are hostels, but if there is more than 1 of you, it's often the same price to stay at a cheap motel.

Food is another thing to think about. You can eat exclusively in restaurants (expensive). If camping, you can cook out or just picnic by investing in a small campstove and a pan and some utensils. (Utensils can be stuck in suitcases and brought from home, as can forks, a can opener, etc.) A summer ago, my husband and I discovered the joys of the combination of those two: we brought along an electric frypan, some utensils, and periodically we would cook dinner in our motel room. It saved us a lot of money, yes, but one thing it saved was the monotony of eating out all the time. We grew tired of it after a couple of weeks!

Getting a cooler is another idea -- for toting along drinks and refrigerated snacks.

Donna

I really don't think money should be at issue at all. Together, you could spend more than $10,000 a month, and still have money left over! That's enough money to take a pretty luxurious trip. I don't see why you'd even think about sleeping in a car - not something that is a good idea with multiple people on a long term trip - when you can easily afford 3 or 4 star hotels every night.

As was previously mentioned, buying a car is very difficult for non-residents. With the kind of budget you've got, renting a car is a no-brainer. You'll get to have a new car with no worries about maintenance or repairs. Having said that, you wouldn't want to rent a new car in each new city, you'd want to rent one car for your entire trip.

Default Hostels are so much more than a cheap hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    There are hostels, but if there is more than 1 of you, it's often the same price to stay at a cheap motel.
    And that is precisely why you would be better off at a hostel.... being able to cooik your own meals, make use of all their extra facilities, and meeting like minded (young) travellers with whom to share plans, ideas and dreams.

Lifey