Default FINALLY, THE ENTIRE ROUTE 66 IN ONE TRIP....and more.

Finally, my wife and I were able to do the entire Route 66 in one trip with added extras at the end...but this time in a camper.
    Starting from Hickory North Carolina we drove to Chicago without using interstate highways until we got to the city....
    Actually we spent two nights there, visited a friend for dinner one evening at a German restruant.
    And then to Lake Shore drive...and Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

There are far too many things along the route to list here but two weeks later we were on the Pier at Santa Monica. One real highlight was visiting with Jerry McClanahan, author of EZ66 Guide to 66 for travelers, the guide book we use and highly recommend.

From Santa Monica it was on to Apache Junction Arizona (outside of Phoenix) to see the Kingston Trio again. When leaving it was to Tortilla Flat and then it was 22 miles over the most beautiful dirt road one can imagine (no guard rails). Like driving on the walls of the Grand Canyon. Back to Apache Junction. We took US 60 east to Show Low Arizona. Just like the Apache Trail but paved and had guard rails. From there it was, unfortunately, onto I-40 back to Memphis for two nights of blues and ribs....and then home.

3 1/2 weeks of heaven on earth! Ready to do it again as soon as spring arrives.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-05-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added link to the book