1. Default My first trip to Texas/Arizona

Dec 14 I am heading to Texas/Arizona (from NH) for the first time. My boyfriend said we are taking Route 81 and (depending on weather) taking Route 30, 20 or 10. I would like to stop along the way to see things - but since never been, don't know what t o look out for Any suggestions????
    Last edited by JulieA; 12-05-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add where I was leaving from

Default Nothing to work with.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Right now it's just a little bit impossible to start putting meaningful suggestions out there, apart from hundreds of different options along each of your possible routes, we know nothing of your interests, how long you have or where in Texas and Arizona you are headed and they are both big targets.

To start I would suggest you do a little research around the RTA site, as well as the forums you will find plenty of route and attraction info in the tool bars above and in the RTA map centre you can easily search for attractions along each route. Once you have a few ideas and share some further info with us then other members will be able to help with filling in the blanks.

Enjoy the planning.

Default Some Samplers to Whet Your Appetite

Dave is absolutely correct that we can't help you without knowing at least a little something about your plans and interests, but we can offer some very general advice about what's out there to see what piques your interest. Then we can help you find some other, similar sites on your route (whatever that ends up being). For quick stops near the major highways, check these listings, and for twenty-six (or so) unique attractions in each state have a look here. Those aren't a personalized itinerary, but should give you at least some idea of what's available to you. If you still need help, or if they just leave you wanting more, come back with what you've worked up so far and we'll try to be of further help.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-05-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Dave mentioned this, but where in Texas and Arizona are you heading?

It is easy to forget just how big the west can be. Just for perspective, you will be looking at about 1600 miles to get from NH to the Texas border via the route you described. It is only 300 miles less - 1300 mile total - to get from East Texas to Phoenix!

5. Default

Sorry - I didn't think of all these things when I posted my question....Abilene Texas and then Mesa, AZ....I have family in both those places so attractions will be taken care of there, it's the trip out there. I did find some things when I "mapped" out my trip on this site but other suggestions would be great. Again sorry about my absence of info.

Ok, but how much time do you have for the trip? I'm assuming its a round trip? How much time are are you planning between abiline and mesa?

And of course, we still haven't heard about what kinds of things you are interested in seeing and doing.

7. Default

It will be a 2 week trip since we are driving there. Planning to arrive in Mesa (approx) 12/16 0r 17 ... depending on how many places I want to see on the way out there. We will be in Mesa for couple days then Abilene for a few days & Christmas...need to be home in NH by the 29th (back to work on the 30th) Pretty much up for anything (I guess) I did check out a few things on this site like....The Roadside America miniature village We also ride Harleys in the nicer weather so I thought maybe the Harley Tour in PA and the Motorcycle parts tree in NC. We will have our dog with us so we can't really spend too much time leaving him in the car. Did I forget anything??!!

Default Not Much Time

Two weeks really isn't all that much time for a trip of this magnitude. You'll need a minimum of five days for the driving portion each way. There is simply no way to leave New Hampshire on the 14th and be in Mesa on the 16th OR the 17th. The evening of the 18th is the earliest you can reasonably expect to arrive. As a general rule of thumb, about 550 miles is what you should plan on covering each day during a multi-day RoadTrip. Note that professional long-haul drivers are limited by law to no more than 600 miles a day because trying to do more than that leads to sleep deprivation and accidents.

To that five days each way, you should also add a day's margin in the event of snow/sleet/ice/etc. Then if you want to stop and see anything other than taking short breaks from behind the wheel, that's extra. Now, assuming you only need one of your 'margin' days, you're looking at 11 days driving and three days split between Mesa and Abilene. If you count the weekends at both ends, as you seem to be doing, you've got five days, total, for Mesa, Abilene, and sight-seeing. Not a lot out of 16 days on the road.

So, what's the best way to make use of those days on the road to see the most that you can? Generally I recommend that you use different routes out and back so as to maximize the amount of time that you're experiencing new road and country. Fortunately there are two nearly equally good routes between New Hampshire (I assumed Concord) and Mesa, with one of them passing through Abilene. The more direct route, which would work best westbound to get you to Mesa, is I-90 west from Albany to Cleveland, I-71 down to Columbus, I-70 west to St. Louis, I-44 west to Oklahoma City, I-40 west to Flagstaff, and I-17 south to Phoenix/Mesa. There are a few possible shortcuts and bypasses around major cities, but that's the basic route.

Coming home, it's I-10 into west Texas, then I-20 when it splits off. Continue east on I-20 after Abilene to Dallas-Fort Worth, I-30 to Little Rock and I-40 past Knoxville TN to the junction with I-81 north. Follow I-81 up to the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area and use I-380 to connect with I-84 to the Mass Pike, I-495 and home. You may also want to consider the possibility of rearranging your visits if it turns out that the weather on the I-90/I-70/I-40 route is bad when you want to head west, and visit Abilene on the way out rather than on the way back

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.