1. Default South FL to Denver area, CO in January - Snow?

I am moving from south Florida to the Denver area in January. It doesn't look like I can afford a moving company, so I will probably be driving a U-haul and towing my car on a trailer. My wife will also be driving her car (front wheel drive crossover/small SUV). If we stick to interstates and major highways, do we need to worry about snow on the roads, snow chains, or snow tires? Route suggestions (short and sweet) are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to RTA!

Snow is, of course, a distinct possibility. Sticking to the Interstates will minimize any real problems. However, which exact route to take will depend on the exact conditions and can vary from day to day. The best thing you can do is take the most direct route and have some extra time available in case you have to hole up in a hotel for a while to allow the roads to be cleared.

I would plan on I-75/I-24/I-57/I-64/I-70. Keep abreast of weather and road conditions enroute with a smartphone or laptop.

I would take a different route. I do not where you are starting from but take the shortest route to hit I-10. Take it west to Las Cruces and then take I-25 into Denver. This should cut down on the time that you will be exposed to potential bad weather. And should be closer too.

scotishbob

That's a terrible idea. That adds 550 miles to the trip, which is at least one more whole day. The best thing to do is minimize your potential exposure, and that just adds to it. I-10 and I-25 are far from immune from bad weather.

I will grant you that it is about 400 miles further. and about 1 day longer but the potential for snow is much less, particularly in January. Going your way the potential is great about Knoxville and from St. Louis all the way to Denver...plus the possibility for freezing ice/sleet is there too and the temperature can be much colder.
    Taking the southern route, the chance for snow is not very much until you get just south of Alb. New Mexico...and then the rest of the way to Denver...about 300 miles total.
    Bob

Just for something to consider - In Colorado the snow clearing efforts at the State level go to the Interstate first. US highways next then Colorado roads.
    So sticking on the Interstate is where the clearest roads will be.

If the snow is so bad you need chains then you made a mistake by not holing up somewhere for the storm to blow over and to let the crews clear the roads.

Radial M&S tires are what is pretty standard. They aren't very good in snow and ice but more tread is better than less.

Plan for time for waiting out storms and don't take risks. Interstate roads are maintained in order to keep things going.

I have to agree with GLC, sticking to I-10 is not something I would recommend at all.

People tend to forget that I-10 can and does see some nasty winter weather, especially with ice storms, across West Texas and Southern New Mexico. The bad weather is somewhat less frequent, and when it comes it doesnt usually last very long, but that actually makes matters worse. Crews dont treat the roads, they just wait for the weather to warm back up, making for some very scary travel.

Even if there is bad weather on I-70, it takes a much more severe storm to make the roads difficult to travel, and at least 90% of the time they are completely cleared within a day - that same extra day you would spend hoping to see better weather in Texas.

Bob, I don't know what you are using to get your numbers, but using Streets & Trips, my route from the I-10/I-75 junction near Lake City FL to downtown Denver is 1685.8 miles via my suggested route and 2261.9 miles via I-10 to I-25. That's 576.1 miles longer.

If this person comes up from "South FL" he will be going through that junction no matter what route he takes. If he's on the east coast he'd probably take I-95 to Jax to avoid tolls, if he's on the Gulf coast he will be taking I-75 anyway.

I come up with the I-10/I-25 route being 583 miles further using Lake City as a starting point. I wouldn't even consider that unless I was absolutely certain there was going to be bad weather along the I-70 route.
    Last edited by Charlie H; 12-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.