Default Camping in south Florida

Hi

I am new to this forum and site. Apologies if I have missed it but I was looking for a thread for newbs such as me to say hi to everyone. My wife and I are from the UK and have just started the mother of all road trips. We plan to travel around the USA for the next year. I found this site when looking for information about tent camping we are currently in Naples, FL, and can only find quite expensive camp sites - $40-$50 per night!! this seems quite expensive when there are motels around for $30 per night… does anyone have suggestions for low cost tent camping sites in the South Florida area?

Also, i plan to use this site a lot over the next year as it seems full of useful and interesting information. thanks for creating a rally good looking website and forum!

Cheers,

Alex23

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I find you generally get the best value in campsites by looking at State Parks and other public facilities. Just taking a quick look, Picayune Strand State Forest and Collier-Seminole State Park are a couple that are near Naples and charge around $20 a night.

Are you going to be camping in an RV? $40-50 a night really isn't uncommon for a private campground with full electric/water hookups, especially if it has resort-style features like a pool or a prime location near a beach.

I'm also a little curious as to where you are getting a $30 figure for hotels? Budget rooms in the US typically cost at least $40-50, and just doing a quick look on the RTA hotel search tool, it looks like $60-70 is what a cheap room goes for in Naples.

Your best bet is probably the Florida state park system. Private campgrounds in South Florida are notoriously expensive.

Many state parks have primitive camping - no facilities, pack in and out - for $5 a night.

Default What to be Looking For

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Camping in America can range from 'glamping' which includes full power hookups and gourmet meals down through RVing all the way to 'under the stars' no frills roughing it. There is usually no need to pay for facilities, such as electric outlets and sewage hookups, that you have no use for and which can actually detract from the outdoor experience for some people by putting them directly next to 'campers' who run their generators and TVs all night. What you want to be looking for are 'primitive', 'dispersed', or 'distributed' campsites. These are never found in commercial campgrounds (KOA, Jellystone and others), but are often in state parks and particularly national forests. Costs will obviously vary from site to site, but for truly primitive sites that you must hike into, you can often end up paying nearly nothing.

Near Naples, state parks include Collier-Seminole which has primitive camping, and Koreshan State Historic Site which only has full facility camping. Unfortunately, most national forests in the state are in the northern portions and panhandle, but keep that resource in mind if/as you travel around.

AZBuck

HI Midwest Michael,
    Thanks for the help. I was asking about camping in a tent - as for the figures, we have found a couple of motels, charging around $30 per night - admittedly that is with vouchers and they tend be at the basic end of the market. I am new to this site so have not yet looked at the RTA hotel search tool you mentioned - but thanks for the heads up!

AZBuck,

Thanks for the help. We will head to Collier Seminole and see how things go. We are definitely interested in the more primitive camping - especially as we head west. the wife and I find that much more enjoyable… getting back to nature and all...

If you are looking to get back to nature, then public campgrounds are really your best bet for pretty much your entire trip. In addition to state parks and forests, you can also look at federal lands, especially as you had west. National parks often have nice campgrounds, although they can fill up fast. National forests and BLM lands often have lots of cheap, primitive camping options. Also look for campgrounds run by local agencies like city or county parks and preserves.

All of these types of places tend to be much more nature friendly than private campgrounds, which often - although not always - cater more to rv's and focus more on getting the most revenue out of their available space.

Default Cool, looking forward to it.

Hi Alex.

My wife and I are from the UK and have just started the mother of all road trips. We plan to travel around the USA for the next year.
    Wow, what an adventure. You have so much to look forward to ! Plan to hit the Northern states in the summer. ;-)

Also, i plan to use this site a lot over the next year as it seems full of useful and interesting information.
    We will be happy to answer questions and offer suggestions as you make your way around the country. It will also be great to get updates from the road at the same time.

Have a wonderful time !

Dave.

Default A more interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex23 View Post
    ... I was looking for a thread for newbs such as me to say hi to everyone.
    One thing this site does not have. Here everyone is welcomed when they post their first thread, no matter in which forum it is posted. But we do have a special Forum to record your trip while you are on the road, or afterwards. We would love to follow your adventure and see some pictures. We love pics.

My wife and I are from the UK and have just started the mother of all road trips. We plan to travel around the USA for the next year.
    For me however, a much more interesting bit of information would be to learn how you are able to stay in the US for a year. We often get questions from folk who wish to travel through the US for a year or even two. The one restriction these folk face is the restrictive entry conditions, which typically are 90 days (VWP) or six months (B1/B2 visa).

It would be interesting to learn of your circumstances, so that folk who read this thread do not automatically assume that they too can go over to the US for an extended period of time.

Lifey

Default Route?

We primarily camp as we travel and just finished a trip that included S. Florida. All of the info above gives you good leads. We stayed at Collier-Seminole SP for $24.20. I hope it is a bit cooler and not as humid as it was when we were there a couple of weeks ago.
    If we knew your general route the advice could be more specific. Are you using a smartphone as you travel? There are a couple of apps that I use that have been very helpful. In general anything away from the coasts, east or west, will be less expensive.
    Keep coming back and posting with questions and sharing.
    Have a fun adventure,
    -Pat