Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Road trip for year end. Suggestions please...

I am looking for a 12-13 days trip during Christmas. I need a brief suggestion then I will study and ask further questions in local forums of those places.
    I have already visited San Diego, places around LA, Kingman, Antelope, Canyon, Zion, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Monterey, Big Sur, Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes, Lone Pine.
    I am not able to decide, which side I should head ?
    We are couple, driving own car, love to see beautiful places, don't mind snow.
    Help and suggestions will be much appreciated..

Default Help us to help you.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Where are you starting out from, do you live in the Southwest ? The Grand canyon NP is not on your list of places visited and would be a popular choice for most people looking for beautiful places. Monument valley and Sedona and surrounding areas also offer great scenery near to the South rim.

No one knows what appeals to you better than you do though, and if you had a couple of favoured places and told us a little more about the trip [start point, how much driving you like to do etc] we would be in a better postion to help.

If you need a little inspiration just start searching around the RTA pages where you will get loads of ideas, once you have made a start we can help fill in the blanks.

3. Default

Thanks Dave,
    I have already visited Grand Canyon (Sorry, I just wrote Canyon). I stay in Los Angeles. I can easily drive 300 miles a day.
    I know, it is only me who can decide, what will attracts me, but I just need some thoughts and idea. Later I can research more on those places.
    I might take rental car, if it will be long drive. We are couple, not much into hiking. I like scenic drive, roads and places. I like snow. Fo example, I liked Big Sur, Point Lobos Park, Tioga Pass, Zabriskie Point (Death Valley). I mentioned it just to tell, what kind of places I like.
    As you mentioned South side, which can be a option to look. Few other threads also mentioned towards Oregon or Missoula or Vancour. But I am still reading on local places on these routes.
    Regards

Default A bit further north.

Have you thought of looking into central ID? From what you state, it could meet most of your interests.

Lifey

5. Default

Can you please mention few places in Central Idaho, where I can loop from start and end at Los Angeles or another alternate to/from SF.
    Last edited by abhisheks77; 11-28-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correction

Default Mapping tool might be helpful to you

Central Idaho is rich in natural & scenic resources, but of limited towns and population. But a quick glance at the RTA Attractions List for Idaho would suggest the following:

Stanley -- Gateway to three scenic byways

Shoshone Falls -- "Little Niagara"

In fact, one of the things you can do is go to the Map Center page and use the "Search for Places" within 100 miles of any place you click on the map to see some of the places that the RTA writing staff has profiled.

Default ...and a couple of routes in the region

Have you looked at the featured routes pages yet? If not, you might take a couple of moments and read some of the routes we've written about over the years.

For the Mountain region (including Idaho)

West coast states including California

And the southwest for Utah and points to the south

Or if you want to look at the entire USA for route suggestions of trips we've written about, click here.

Mark

Default More ...

Quote Originally Posted by abhisheks77 View Post
    Can you please mention few places in Central Idaho ...
    The Sawtooth Recreation Area, and in particular Stanley, would be my main focus. I could spend weeks there, though I would prefer not in snow. Nearby are a couple of ghost towns and Sunshine Hot Springs. Bonanza is the only ghost town which readily comes to mind, but I have been to several. The drives along the rivers are all spectacular IMHO. South of the interstate you have Bruneau dunes and canyon.

At the visitor centre in Lowman and Ketchum they have audio you can play as you tour through the Sawtooth Recreation Area. Pick it up at one place, drop it off at the other. (I should say, they did have, when I was first there, in 2001. Not checked if they still have them. Worth asking.)

Best thing you can do is lay out some good maps of the relevant States, and see what is marked on them. Most good maps such as AAA show the majority of attractions, geographical, historical, etc. You can then research those places on the web.

Lifey

9. Default 10 days winter road trip towards South

I will be looking a long road trip for 10 days during Christmas vacations. I will be driving my own starting from Los Angeles.
    After many good suggestions from and few readings, I learned that most feasible is to go towards Santa FE and NM. Oregon, Idaho and MT will be too wet and cold during that time.
    I have already visited San Diego, places around LA, Kingman, Antelope, Grand Canyon, Zion, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Monterey, Big Sur, Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes, Lone Pine. I will be travelling with my wife and we are not much into hiking. We are mostly interested in scenic places and drives.
    When going through few other forums, I found few places like Anza Borrego, Organ Pipe Cactus, Tuscon, Tombstone, Bisbee, Salt Lake Canyon, Petrified Forest, Hopi Reservations, Jerome. But there are very few reviews on these places on yelp and other sites. Are these places worth visiting ? Or please suggest places and best route for 10 days.

Mod note. Please keep all questions regarding this trip in your original thread. Thank-you.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-03-2013 at 01:55 AM.

We are mostly interested in scenic places and drives.
    Any good map, such as those put out by AAA, have the scenic routes marked with a dotted line. To my way of thinking that would be the best place to start.

When going through few other forums, I found few places like Anza Borrego, Organ Pipe Cactus, Tuscon, Tombstone, Bisbee, Salt Lake Canyon, Petrified Forest, Hopi Reservations, Jerome. But there are very few reviews on these places on yelp and other sites.
    Why not just hit the road, and see for yourself. Take pictures, keep a record and make notes, then write your own reviews. Most people are reluctant to leave reviews, just don't think about it, or find it a useless exercise. Anyway, why rely on what others think of a place. One man's 'must see' is another's 'must pass by'.

Are these places worth visiting?
    That depends greatly on what you and your wife are interested in.... on what you think is worth visiting.

Lifey