1. Default Road Trip from Las Vegas to San Diego

Hi, we are travelling from Australia in January 2014 and will be driving from Las Vegas to San Diego on the 21st Jan. We do need to make a stop in Buena Park to collect some papers. I was thinking of driving from Barstow down to Big Bear and then getting on Hwy 18 (Rim of the World) and coming out onto Hwy 210 and then heading across to Buena Park and down to San Diego. I have done a little bit of research and have found that we would probably need snow chains travelling this route. I was thinking that maybe another alternative would be to keep travelling down from Barstow on the I-15 and then turn off onto Hwy 138 and then pick up Hwy 18 just past Crestline and continue through to Hwy 210. This way we can pick up some of the Rim of the World route without perhaps travelling through so much snow.

I would like to how just how scenic this route is and whether it is worth doing at that time of the year. We will be travelling in a Standard SVU. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Kelly

Welcome to RTA!

What you need to do is check restrictions. They are updated hourly on the CALTRANS website. If you don't have Internet access but have a phone, you can call 1.800.427.7623 to get the same information. It's an automated system, you need to punch in the route number you want info for.

Generally, when there are chain restrictions they apply to all highways in the area, including 18, 38, 138, and 330. They get a lot of snow up there, Big Bear is a big ski resort.

I hope you don't have to go through Big Bear on a weekend. Friends of ours say there is always a lot of traffic up there on weekends in the winter.

Donna

January 21 is a Tuesday, it should be fine - as long as it's not snowed in and the chain signs are up.