Default Advice on high mileage cars

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice on a long distance road trip. I have a potential trip planned for around the country that totals out to about 7,000 miles, but my only vehicle option at the moment is my 2002 Jetta with 158,000 miles on it. I just had the brake pads replaced and its in moderate condition. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on long distance trips with high mileage cars? Not sure if I should take the risk or postpone/shorten my trip. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ft. Collins, CO.

If you've been keeping up on everything else on the car there's no reason to be concerned.
    Belt, hoses and battery are best if less than 4 yrs old.
    Have the fuel pump and water pump been replaced yet?
    How about the starter and alternator?
    Coolant been changed frequently and regularly?
    How's oil consumption/leakage?
    How are the CV joints?

Generally speaking that's no longer really high mileage. Cars and lubricants are better than 20 years ago so 200k is not too difficult to achieve.

But it's best if you know what to look for and are always watchful and doing the necessary maintenance.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Certainly, a higher mileage car is going to be at a higher risk of having a problem, but if it has been well maintained and inspected, it shouldn't keep you from the road. For that matter, 150k isnt that high of mileage. Most modern cars will do 200k easy if they are treated well. My roadtrip vehicle was approaching 300k when I retired it this past year.

Before you get out on the road, you should have it looked over by a mechanic. Getting AAA or some other roadside coverage would be wise. And even then, have some time and money set aside just in case could come in handy.

Southern California

In 2011, we took our 2002 Pontiac on a trip that was about 7500 miles long. We've had it since it was a baby, and it had always been maintained and repaired when needed. It also had well over 150,000 miles on it. We had it checked by our regular mechanic before we left, and a repair done on it. It was a gem all the way through the trip. We do carry AAA as a peace-of-mind.

In 2012, we took a 1999 pick-up truck on a 9000-mile trip. Now, granted, this truck didn't have the mileage on it, but it did have age. We had it checked before we went, but mechanics don't always have crystal balls. We had an alternator start to go out on us. Fortunately we made it into a city where we had family (that knew the best mechanics). But if we hadn't, we would have had AAA and would have automatically gone to a dealer if we'd had to.

There's our experience -- hopefully it will help you.

Thanks for the feedback!