Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Francisco to Yellowstone NP

Hi,

We are planning a road trip during thanksgiving from San Francisco to Yellowstone NP. We would like to visit Grand Teton also.

I have never been to Yellowstone and seems like only the north entrance to northeast entrance road is open. The snowmobile and snowcoach tours also open only mid-december. So, it seems to me there are very few options for activities during this time.

Can you please share your ideas for any activities/adventures/scenic drives that we can plan during this time in Yellowstone and Grand Teton?

Or do I have to plan for an alternative destination ?

Thanks in advance.
    Karthik

Welcome!

I would plan on an alternative. Yellowstone is pretty much a "no man's land" at Thanksgiving and not worth a trip from SF just to see it. How about the southern Utah parks?

Default Another Vote For Utah

At the time of the year you're planning to travel, I would have to agree with glc that a better bet would be the National Parks of southern Utah: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Arches as well as Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument. Nowhere in the country can you see so much magnificient scenery in a comparatively small area. In addition to the National Parks, here are some other great places to visit in Southern Utah:

This might also be helpful in seeing what there is to see in Southern Utah: A Journey Through Utah In Pictures

Have A Great Trip!!

Thanks glc and Charlie for your replies.

Just curious, are they secluded vacation homes inside Yellowstone or near north/northeast entrances that we can spend a night?

NPS says in Grand Teton - "The Teton Park Road from Taggart Lake Trailhead to the Signal Mountain Lodge and the Moose-Wilson Road from the Death Canyon Trailhead to the Granite Canyon Trailhead are closed". Are the rest of the road worth a drive for a day?

I have been to Bryce Canyon and Zion last April and it was beautiful. I would certainly love to explore the other Utah destinations especially Monument Valley.

Are there any kind of road closures or snow limitations on the rest of Utah NPs? I would love to do activities like Hiking, ATVs, Biking.

Everything in southern Utah should be open except Cedar Breaks.

You really need to defer Yellowstone/Tetons for a summer or early fall trip - between Memorial Day and the end of October. It's at a quite high altitude and they have very long winters.

thanks for your replies.. we will skip Yellowstone and Teton this time.

It would be great if you can help on Ski resorts. Seems like the ski season havent started in Utah yet. Are there chances of ski resorts opening during Thanksgiving?
    Can you suggest some good ski resorts in Utah?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Karthik.arch@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks glc and Charlie for your replies.

I have been to Bryce Canyon and Zion last April and it was beautiful. I would certainly love to explore the other Utah destinations especially Monument Valley.

Are there any kind of road closures or snow limitations on the rest of Utah NPs? I would love to do activities like Hiking, ATVs, Biking.
    Just outside of Moab, Utah there is Arches & Canyonlands National Parks and in the Moab area you have ATV, 4x4 & biking trails.

Utahtea

While Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in the world, and it might be worth stopping if you were already traveling through Montana, I wouldn't drive 1000 miles just to get there in late November. Even Grand Teton, your options for exploration would be quite limited and it would take you the better part of a day to get from there up to the other side of Yellowstone.

I also have to agree with Utahtea that if you're looking for hiking and biking, the Moab area would likely be ideal - it is known as the mountain biking capitol of the world.

For skiing in Utah, most of the action is in the Salt Lake City area, but if you are planning to go to Moab and Monument Valley, you also wouldn't be far from some of the resorts in Western Colorado. Purgatory and Telluride, both north of Durango, are two that come to mind.

Completely unrelated, you might want to think twice about using your email address on any public forum, unless you love getting spam.