1. Default Trip from Portland, OR to Denver, CO in Late Dec.

Hello road warriors!
    I need an advice for my upcoming road trip to Denver from Portland, OR. I'm moving to Denver just before Christmas. I'm thinking about taking Southern rout to CA, Albuquerque, then to Denver. I know that will take much longer but I am absolutely horrified about driving in winter weather. Anybody has better idea? I have 2010 Toyota Prius...... Thanks!

Welcome to RTA!

How much time do you have? You're looking at about a 3 day drive (400+ miles per day) if you take I-84 to I-15 to I-80 to I-25. Going south would add at least another day and a half to the trip, which adds to the odds that you'll see bad weather.

Best bet is to allow yourself more time than you think you'll need, keep an eye on the weather before you go, and then do not hesitate to get off the road and wait things out if the weather gets bad. I'd stick with interstates for the main reason that these are the roads with the easiest grades, and the road crews need to keep them open for the commercial traffic that goes through.

I'm sure others will give you some hints, too.

Donna

Going through California to Albuquerque would add almost 900 miles to your trip and you would still face the possibility of winter weather in the higher altitudes of Arizona and New Mexico.

Default Altitude and winter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    ... you would still face the possibility of winter weather in the higher altitudes of Arizona and New Mexico.
    Not to forget the passes along I-5 which can see significant winter weather.

Since all east west routes see winter weather, the best bet is always to keep an eye on the weather and avoid those routes which have storm forecasts.... at the same time trying to stick to the most direct route, and the least time on the road. Make sure you have time to spare to sit out a storm, should that be necessary.

The alternative to Donna's route suggestion would be to take I-15 to I-70. It's at a lower altitude, especially compared with I-80 through south eastern WY.

Lifey

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have to agree with what everyone has said to this point. If you are scared of winter weather, then making this trip via California and Albuquerque is about the worst possible thing you could do. You'd be significantly increasing the number of miles where you'd be at risk of seeing bad weather. You would be much much better off sticking with the direct route, and using the 2 full extra days it would take you to go via CA and NM as days where you can wait for weather to improve.

The alternative to Donna's route suggestion would be to take I-15 to I-70. It's at a lower altitude, especially compared with I-80 through south eastern WY.
    I do think Lifey may have mistyped here, as I-70 across Colorado goes much higher than I-80 in Wyoming.

If during your time of travel it looks like Wyoming will see some bad weather, a better plan B would actually be to go North to I-90 through Montana and then down I-25 to Denver. That route is at a lower elevation than most of I-80, and it only adds about 200 miles. Going via I-84/I-80 would still be the preferred choice, but keep an eye on the forecast right as you leave and see where you'll find the best weather.

6. Default

Thank y'all! So, I'll try to take the most direct route :I-84 and I-80. If weather gets bad, reroute to I-90 and I-25. I will definitely take my time.Thank you so much, everyone!