Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Retirement Grand Tour: East Coast & Back to Arizona

(Editor's Note: This is a continuation of the Retirement Grand Tour, you can read the previous entry here)

Friday, November 1, 2013
    Start: Baltimore, MD
    Finish: Greenbelt, MD

As forecasted the weather was ugly in the morning. We took our time before leaving the motel and got going around 10:30. We used mass transit to get into Baltimore. It seems the older we get the less tolerant we are of traffic. Besides, for a total of $4.70 we got 2 tickets which were good all day on light rail, bus, and subway. Regular fare is $3.50, $1.20 for Senior (showing your Medicare card). I do find having a smart phone to research the mass transit options makes this much easier.
    In downtown Baltimore they have a series of free routes. We took light rail into town, a free bus across town and out to Ft. McHenry and a fare bus back to the light rail. The weather got better and better as the day wore on.

Our first stop was the President Street Station in East Harbor. This has been developed to interpret the Civil War in Maryland. They highlighted the fact that Maryland was unique because of its location, below the Mason-Dixon Line, but not overtly pro-slavery. They also displayed early train information, 1830s. One poster advertised the trip, 97 miles, between Baltimore and Philadelphia could be completed in 6 hours! This site has a number of passport stamps.

An East Coast memory for me has always been the food, especially seafood. And one of my very favorite meals is soft shell crab, which is regional to this area and seasonal to this time of year. This is the second time we have eaten at Mo's on President, near Pratt. For seafood I can't imagine doing better!

Soft Shell Crab

No trip to Baltimore is complete without a stop at Ft. McHenry, site of a War of 1812 battle against the British. This is where our national anthem was written. The view of the harbor is wonderful here, not so crowded as the main tourist area.
    www.nps.gov/fomc

Ft. McHenry

Walking back to the bus stop I spied this holly tree, another East coast childhood memory. Near Christmas time I remember going out into the Jersey woods with my mother to collect sprigs for decorations.

Holly - Female

Our next stop was Greenbelt Park, N of Washington,DC. We have camped here numerous times, being able to be here in that Fall is perfect. This is a NPS park, so the fees are reasonable; $16 per night and $8 with certain passes. No hookups, but free showers. It is only minutes from the Metro, shopping and restaurants. The evening was perfect, low 60s.
    www.nps.gov/gree

Passport Stamps
    President Street Station
    - Baltimore National Heritage Area, Baltimore, MD
    - President Street Station, Baltimore, MD
    - Underground Railroad Freedom Network, President Street Station
    -Star-Spangled Banner NHT, Baltimore, MD
    - President Street Station, Passport 25th Anniversay
    Fort McHenry
    - Fort McHenry NM & HS, Baltimore, MD
    - Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Baltimore, MD
    Greenbelt Park, Greenbelt, MD
    Baltimore-Washington PKWY, Greenbelt, MD

National Wildlife Refuge

Smashed Pennies

Letterbox
    1 near our campground

License Plates - All 50 plus DC!!!

Wildlife Sightings
    Mammals
    Eastern Grey Squirrel
    Bat

Other
    Snake- garter?

Birds
    Canada Geese
    Gull
    Mockingbird
    Double crested Cormorant
    Mourning Dove
    Feral Rock Dove

Default Bald Eagles...

DonnaR57
    I remember being shocked to see bald eagles scavenging like ravens and crows, when we first lived in Alaska (25 years ago). We don't think of our national bird as a garbage picker, but he is! Others don't realize that the bald eagle doesn't get its "bald" (i.e. white) head until it is about 5 years old. Finally, one must turn in any found bald-eagle feathers to the Fish & Game Dept.
    They, Bald Eagles, are definitely scavengers. same experience for us in Alaska. We were surprised to see them down on a beach with the gulls picking at halibut skeletons. They were squawking and fighting between themselves and with the gulls. Plus there were so many of them.

Default Plethora of Passport Stamps -DC

Saturday, November 2, 2013
    Start: Greenbelt, MD
    Finish: Greenbelt, MD

Let camp early for the College Park Metro station. This is the mass transit we have used the most over the years, but today it was difficult to figure out the fare card pricing and ticketing. Luckily this station had an attendant who readily took us to the machine and walked us through the process.

Once in DC we picked up the Old Town Trolley. This is the first time we have ever used a tour bus in a big city. For the most part it worked well. We wanted to cover a lot of ground and not have to drive and park our van. The live narration got a bit chatty, and corny at times, but we did see and learn more about the area thank our own.

Our first stop was the FDR memorial, probably my favorite memorial in DC. The layout, as well as the person, is inspiring. Funny store today; while there a couple was walking through with their 2 dogs. One of them started barking at Falafel, Roosevelt's dog. The woman even took the dog up to the statue, patted the head, with her dog near and it still barked. Cracked me up, they were also laughing at their dog.

Roosevelt & Fala

A new site for us was the Martin Luther King, Jr Memorial. It always amazes me how the newer memorials blend in so well to the National Mall, even with the more modern design. The view from here across the Tidal Pool to the Jefferson Memorial was beautiful.

MLK, Jr Memorial

The Fall colors have gotten prettier as we have worked our way down the East Coast. We missed the peak in Maine because of the shutdown delay. I've been trying to get the iconic picture. So far this is the best I can do.

Fall Colors

Besides all of the wonderful sites to see in DC, for a passport stamp addict, aka my husband, this is Nirvana. The photos below are of the stamps he collected today. Luckily this was collected in seven sites. Several of the Ranger/Information Booths on the mall have multiple stamps. I enjoyed sitting in the 70 degree weather, people watching while he was inside stamping.

Passport Book

We enjoyed lunch at Gordon Biersch, not our style of beer, but tasty. Had a great political discussion with our server. Enjoyed an afternoon snack of French pastry and tea at a corner patisserie. We then stopped at the Museum of American Art to view the special exhibition of photography which included some prints of Yosemite from the 1880s. On the way through I saw an exceptional painting; Maine Coast by Winslow Homer. It truly appeared to be 3- D at first look. That was the end of our day in DC, back to camp on the Metro. Using the Metro and the trolley made for a much less tiring day.

Passport Stamps
    Too many to list - see photos

National Wildlife Refuge

Smashed Pennies

Tokens
    5 from DC sites

Letterbox

Wildlife Sightings
    Mammals
    Eastern Grey Squirrel
    White-tailed Deer

Birds
    Canada Geese
    Robin
    Mockingbird
    Double crested Cormorant
    Feral Rock Dove

Default Fort Monroe NM, VA

Sunday, November 3, 2013
    Start: Greenbelt, MD
    Finish: Chesapeake, VA

Time change - something new for us Arizonans - didn't try to remember the fall back, spring forward, just waited for the cellphone tower to confirm the time.

Our first stop of the day was at the Fredricksburg & Spotsylvania NHP in Fredricksburg, VA, a Civil War battlefield. We have been here before, the main reason to stop was to get the Boy Scout passport stamp. My great-nephew was at this Jamboree and had gotten this stamp for his uncle, however as they were getting ready to leave there was a downpour and the stamp imprint was destroyed. This happened in 2010, the last year the jamboree was held at Fort AP Hill.

South on I-95, enjoyed light Sunday AM traffic, then south on I-64 to Hampton, VA area. This year another new site was added to the NPS, Fort Monroe. The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday and is excellent. You actually drive into the fort grounds, with lots of restored housing being leased to the public. The grounds are beautiful. The current, intact fort was constructed in 1819. It had been used as a fort in colonial times, but a hurricane destroyed all of it in the 1740s. It was vacant land until the US Army began construction after the War of 1812. It sits right on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay, and is surrounded by water. The Confederate President Jefferson Davis was held captive here during the Civil War.
    www.nps.gov/ftmo

Inside museum

Outer walls

This place is well worth a visit if you are in the area. Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg are all within an hours drive, or less.

Early day, stopped south of Norfolk along US17. Time to do laundry. Discovered Sunday afternoon a busy time in this campground's laundry room. But at $1.00 per load I could wait!

Passport Stamps
    Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania NHP -Fredricksburg, VA
    Journey Through Hallowed Ground NHA - Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania NHP
    Fort AP Hill - BSA Jamboree 100 YOS
    Fort Monroe National Monument - Fort Monroe, VA
    -War of 1812 Bicentennial NPS
    -Old Point Comfort Lighthouse, Virginia

National Wildlife Refuge

Smashed Pennies

Letterbox

Wildlife Sightings
    Mammals
    Eastern Grey Squirrel

Birds
    Gull
    Canada Geese
    Double crested Cormorant
    Feral Rock Dove
    Starling

Only a dollar per load? Often times it's around $2 a load. I don't doubt that you didn't mind waiting!

Donna

Default Swamp to Seashore

Monday, November 4, 2013
    Start: Chesapeake, VA
    Finish: Frisco, NC (Outer Banks)

We were camped across from the Dismal Swamp Canal, which borders the Great Dismal Swamp NWR to the west. The canal was dug by slaves in the late 1700s, part of George Washington's Land Company. It is considered the longest operating canal in the US, part of the Intercostal Waterway, which is a 3,000 mile navigable waterway along the Atlantic Coast. We saw several large sailboats along it as we traveled today. As a child I used sail, a smaller boat, along it at the Jersey shore. The Visitor Center along US 17, just after you cross into North Carolina, is excellent. A joint venture with the state parks and Army Corp of Engineers. Their wildlife displays were well done.

Before we stopped at the canal, we drove over to the west side of the Great Dismal Swamp NWR. With a name like that how could you not visit! There was a small gift shop at the Refuge Headquarters where they had the Blue Goose stamp. We drove the auto tour route out to Lake Drummond. It is hard to describe the uniqueness of this site. After driving through the dense hardwood forest to see a large lake was surprising.

Lake Drummond at Great Dismal Swamp NWR

We made a brief stop at Kitty Hawk, the Wright Brothers NM. The wind was strong and sky overcast, a bit blustery, probably similar to the day in December 1903 when the Wright brothers were successful.
    www.nps.gov/wrbr

Further south we went into Manteo for several stops. I always enjoy visiting Fort Raleigh NHS. This is a very early English settlement, 1584, referred to as the Lost Colony. Sir Raleigh was not here, but he picked who would come over. A group of 108 settlers were left at the colony, when English ships returned 3 years later no one was found. To this day there are numerous suppositions about what became of them. The Visitor Center has been redone recently and was very interesting.
    www.nps.gov/fora

Across the road from Ft. Raleigh is a brand new Visitor Center for Alligator River (yes, there are alligators in this River, some distance from the VC) and Pea Island NWR. Besides the excellent exhibits there was a wonderful art expo in the auditorium by local artists. Several of the NWR centers have art on display by professional artists, as well as student work for the Duck Stamp competition.

Gateway Visitor Center

A quick stop at the North Carolina Aquarium for 8 beautiful smashed pennies, all wildlife impressions. Back to NC 12, continuing south through towns, Pea Island NWR and Cape Hatteras National Seashore. I picked up a Junior Seashore Ranger booklet to work on and of course several passport stamps. We stopped in Frisco for the night. Campground office was closed, but we found a quiet spot out of the wind. Within walking distance was an excellent eatery, Cap't Yolo. Good beer (aka IPA) and excellent fresh seafood.
    www.nps.gov/Cana

Cape Hatteras Light Station - end of day

Passport Stamps
    Wright Brothers NM - Kill Devil Hills, NC
    Ft. Raleigh NHS - Roanoke Island, NC
    Underground Railroad Freedom Network - Fort Raleigh NHS
    Cape Hatteras NS
    -Manteo, NC
    -Bodie Island, NC
    -Buxton, NC
    Bonus
    -Fort Raleigh NHS, Coat of Arms
    -Lighthouse, Bodie Island, NC
    -Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Buxton NC

National Wildlife Refuge
    Great Dismal Swamp NWR - Suffolk, VA
    Alligator River NWR - Manteo, NC
    Pea Island NWR - Manteo, NC

Smashed Pennies
    Digger's Dungeon - Poplar Branch, NC
    North Carolina Aquarium - Manteo, NC

Letterbox
    1 in Nags Head, a drive by, too windy to be out and about

Wildlife Sightings
    Mammals
    Eastern Grey Squirrel
    White-tailed Deer

Birds
    Tundra Swan
    Gull
    Turkey Vulture
    Canada Geese
    Red-tailed Hawk
    Black Vulture
    Fish Crow
    American Crow
    Kestrel
    Mourning Dove
    Northern Harrier

Default NC Ferry

Tuesday, November 5, 2013
    Start: Frisco, NC
    Finish: Cape Carteret, NC

Lazy, warm morning in camp. So nice to wake up to temperate weather. Made our way to Hatteras to take the free, 30 minute ferry to Ocracoke. This is where we first saw the European RVs, serious machines.

Serious Roadtripper

Traveling together

Once on Ocracoke Island we enjoyed the drive through the National Seashore. Stopped at Hammock Hills Nature Trail for a short walk. Nice walk in the pine forest out to a marsh. Before boarding the ferry I turned in my Junior Ranger booklet and receive my Junior Ranger badge for Cape Hatteras NS.

Ocracoke Lighthouse

The North Carolina Ferry system is amazing. The 2 1/2 hour trip south, off Ocracoke, to Cedar Island costs a total of $15, that includes a vehicle under 20 feet and the passengers.
    Once on the mainland we made a beeline for a USFS campground about 60 miles away. Arrived right at dusk, plenty of sites and they all have electric hookups! $17 full price and $11 with Senior Pass. With it getting dark by 5:30 having electricity is nice to be able to have light inside. Luckily having the use of the heater is not so important at this time.

Passport Stamps
    Cape Hatteras Nat'l Seashore - Ocracoke,NV
    Bonus
    - Ocracoke Lighthouse - Ocracoke Island, NC

National Wildlife Refuge

Smashed Pennies

Letterbox
    On a previous trip got all of the boxes in Ocracoke, none new

Wildlife Sightings
    MAMMALS
    Bat

BIRDS
    Anhinga
    Brown Pelican
    Belted Kingfisher
    Mockingbird
    Gull-Laughing & Herring
    Blackbirds
    Grackle
    Fish Crow
    Kestrel
    Canada Geese
    Wild Turkey
    Great Egret
    Double-crested Cormorant

OTHER
    Mosquito
    Chameleon

Default Battlefield to Interstate

Wednesday, November 6, 2013
    Start: Cape Carteret, NC
    Finish: Kingsland, GA

Started the day visiting Moores Creek National Battlefield in Currie, NC. The battle fought in February 1776, five months before the Declaration of Independence was signed. The Patriots won a quick and decisive battle over the Loyalists. The battle lasted only 3 minutes, one Patriot died, 30 Loyalists died. The walk through the battlefield to the bridge over Moores Creek was very well interpreted. Walking through the area during daylight could not give you a sense of what it must have been like at 5 AM that February morning
    www.nps.gov/mocr

Moores Creek Bridge

Ferns on branches

On our way across North Carolina we stopped in Whiteville to see another Whispering Giant sculpture. It is located next to the North Carolina Forestry Museum. Saw the sculpture, but was not able to locate the letterbox in the area.

Whispering Giant - North Carolina

Today was a travel day to get south. We picked up I-95 south, stopped at Asante NWR. No new birds seen, however some more Revolutionary War history. The Swamp Fox, Lt. Col. Francis Marion won a significant battle here against the British.

Passport Stamps
    Moores Creek National Battlefield - Currie, NC
    Gullah-Geechee National Heritage Corridor - Moores Creek NB
    Bonus
    -Swivel gun image, Moores Creek NB
    -Passport 25th Anniversary, Moores Creek NB

National Wildlife Refuge
    Santee NWR

Smashed Pennies

Letterbox

Wildlife Sightings
    MAMMALS
    Eastern Gray Squirrel

BIRDS
    Black Vulture
    Gull
    Cardinal
    Great Blue Heron
    Cormorant
    Feral Rock Dove
    Fish Crow

OTHER

Default Welcome to Florida - Wildlife Wonderland

Thursday, November 7, 2013
    Start: Kingsland, GA
    Finish: Titusville, FL

From Kingsland we drove out to the Cumberland Island National Seashore. While the Visitor Center is not on the island it has interpretative displays and a bookstore. From there a daily ferry goes out to the island. Bicycles can be rented to tour the historic island.
    www.nps.gov/cuis

Some of the stamps we have been getting in this area are of the Gulah-Geechee National Heritage Corridor. Along the Carolina-Florida coast there are a number of state and federal sites which interpret the rich culture of African Americans and their earliest communities unique to this area. To learn more about this corridor follow the links below:
    www.nps.gov/guge
    www.gullahgeecheecorridor.org

Continuing south into the Jacksonville, FL area we headed to the coast to visit the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve. The Kingsley Plantation unit is very interesting and beautiful. The drive off of the main road is an experience: you drive through a tunnel of large oaks draped with Spanish moss, ferns and a dense undergrowth choked with vines, shrubs and palmettos. At the end of the drive is an antebellum plantation facing the St. George River. In the early days getting to the plantation involved boats, not driving through the thicket. As you enter the grounds you pass through a row of slave quarters, one restored, most as ruins. They sit at the backside of the main house. Around the grounds are interpretative signs, including the one pictured below about the sea turtles that nest on the grounds. Unfortunately we did not see any out and about during our morning visit.
    www.nos.gov/timu

Kingsley Plantation

Sea Turtle burrow

As we left Kingsley Plantation we stopped at the Ribault Club which is nearby and administered by NPS and Florida State Parks. The building itself was built during the Roaring 20s and utilized as a private club over the years. Today there is a NPS interpretative display in one wing and the rest is used as an event center to be rented through Florida State Parks. On a previous visit we saw a wedding taking place on the grounds, gorgeous setting with lush vegetation and waterfront views.

On our way back towards Jacksonville I was fortunate to see several porpoise swimming and splashing as we drove across a bridge. Hopefully we'll get to see more of them while in Florida. Back across the St. Johns River we stopped at Fort Caroline National Memorial, now a unit within Timucuan. Near this site in 1564 the first French colony was established in what is now the Untied States. Within the Visitor Center the history of the area from the Timucuan Indians through the French, the Spanish to present day is interpreted. One of the amazing sites is the totem Owl from the Timucum culture.

Midday was spent shopping before continuing south along I-95 to the Titusville area. The walk out to Seminole Rest Visitor Center for Canaveral NS is a 1/2 mile loop. The inside of the house has beautiful woodwork. The house came long after the mounds left by the Seminole Indians 4,000 - 5,000 years ago.
    www.nps.gov/cana

Seminole Rest

On our way through Merritt Island NWR we stopped at a viewing platform and got to see several manatee, all we saw was a snout and tails. Very cool animals! Since we arrived on the East Coast I have been looking for Osprey, one of my very favorite birds. In fact I have been whining about not seeing Osprey - that changed today. We saw over 20 Osprey while driving and walking at Merritt Island NWR. I am a happy camper!

Speaking of that, we found a great campground in Titusville. A county campground, Manatee Hammock Park, off US 1, south of town. $25 for a tent site with electricity, water, wifi, nice showers and our site is right on the water. Got here after dark so will have to enjoy the view in the AM. Temperature is warm, 80s daytime, and staying warm at night. Using the fan now instead of the heater. Nice change.

Passport Stamps
    Cumberland Island NS - St. Marys, GA
    Gullah-Geechee National Heritage Corridor-Cumberland Island NS
    Kingsley Plantation, Timucuan Preserve - Ft. George Island, FL
    Gullah-Geechee National Heritage Corridor - Kingsley Planatation
    Kingsley Plantation Timucuan Preserve - Jacksonville, FL
    Bonus - Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve
    Phibault Club-Timucuan Preserve - Ft. George Island, FL
    Bonus- Florida Park Service Environmental Protection
    Gullah-Geechee National Heritage Corridor - Timucuan Preserve
    Timucuan Preserve- Jacksonville, FL
    Fort Caroline National Memorial - Jacksonville, FL
    Gullah-Geechee National Heritage Corridor - Fort Caroline NM
    Canaveral National Seashore - Seminole Rest

National Wildlife Refuge
    Merritt Island NWR - no stamp, Visitor Center closed for renovations

Smashed Pennies

Letterbox

Wildlife Sightings
    MAMMALS
    Eastern Gray Squirrel
    Porpoise
    Manatee

BIRDS
    American Bald Eagle
    White Ibis
    Osprey
    Anhinga
    Red-headed Woodpecker
    Gulls
    Boat-tailed Grackle
    Little Egret
    Great Egret
    Brown Pelican
    Great Blue Heron
    Feral Rock Dove
    Canada Goose
    Black Vulture
    Turkey Vulture
    Fish Crow

OTHER
    Mosquitossss

Default Everglades National Park

Friday & Saturday
    Friday, November 8, 2013
    Start: Titusville, FL
    Finish: Everglades National Park, Flamingo campground

Making our way to the Everglades today. Woke up to 20+ mph winds off the water, so did not explore the campground shoreline. Enjoyed a diner breakfast, excellent biscuits.

Found a letterbox at Jupiter Beach in their beach parking lot. Free parking with beach access, restroom and real showers. Not the 'spray off' outside, but located in the restrooms. Also had a large covered picnic area. Plenty of parking on Friday morning, but I imagine it could busy at times.
    Stopped at Hobe Sound NWR, lots of live displays of native wildlife. There was a young lady helping in the display area who offered to bring out the crocodile and alligator for us to pet. Pass, let sleeping reptiles lie.

I hate to admit this, but I had to turn on the air-conditioning today. The humidity, with the temperature in the 80s, makes it too muggy for me.

Treated to a brief rain shower when we stopped at Loxahatchee NWR. Their visitor center did not have live specimens, but excellent audio visual displays. This refuge is inland from the coast and is the beginning of the Everglades watershed.

A stop at Biscayne National Park. I picked up the South Florida Junior Ranger booklets and completed the Biscayne Junior Ranger while I was there. I received the standard badge. If I complete the requirements for the badge at Everglades and Big Cypress I can send back for the patch.

We arrived at Everglades around 4 PM, found the first campground closed (opening 11/15). We drove to the end of the park road to Flamingo for camping. Electric hook ups and solar showers. Warm, muggy and buggy.

White Ibis

Saturday, November 9, 2013
    Start - Finish: Everglades NP
    Mosquitos were prevalent at dark and found there way into the van. Night cooled off nicely, disturbed by several search and destroy missions.

Very lazy morning spent in camp bird watching. Identified several new species for us. Late morning we went over to the Flamingo VC. I finished my Junior Ranger for Everglades and got my badge. We spent most of the afternoon by the marina store. We were provided with up close and personal crocodile viewing. Amazing creatures!

Crocodile at Flamingo

Finished the day back at camp watching large flocks of birds fly back over to the coast. Heard an owl calling as we went to sleep.

Sunset at Flamingo

Passport Stamps
    Biscayne National Park - Homestead, FL
    Everglades National Park - Flamingo, FL

National Wildlife Refuge
    Hobie Sound NWR - Hobe Sound,FL
    A.R.M. Loxahatchee NWR - Boynton Beach, FL

Smashed Pennies

Letterbox
    Drive by at the beach

Wildlife Sightings