Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Still: No

There's simply no way to make that happen safely. No matter how many hours you drive from San Diego on the first evening, you'll still have to get eight hours sleep to make the next day's drive with any degree of safety. Add a minimum of an hour to get checked in, fall asleep, get up in the morning, shower and dress and that's nine hours OFF the road. So let's assume that you manage to avoid any evening rush hour traffic and get to Yuma in time to get a good night's sleep and that you hit the road at 7:00 the next morning. You have, again a minimum, of 700 miles ahead of you to see the Grand Canyon and get to Las Vegas. That's at least 13 hours of driving before you add meal and gas and restroom stops, or any drive through Sedona, or any 'scenic' routes, or any sightseeing at the Canyon. Or did you just mean to (literally) speed through the park and not stop to get out of the car and admire the view. Not only is that incredibly poor time management, it's over a hundred miles farther than professional long-haul truckers are legally allowed to drive in 24 hours. As others have told you already, You simply don't have enough hours in the single day you're allotting yourself for the drive to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, and no matter how you rearrange the 10 pounds of potatoes you plan on doing, they're not going to fit in a 5 pound bag.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-31-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo

2. Default

damn, that's true. i def cant handle 13 hrs of driving...my cousins wont even be able to help as they cant drive....

I think you've fallen into the pretty classic trap of dramatically underestimating how far apart things can be in the west, and overestimating how much ground you can over in a limited time.

For comparison sake, we don't recommend trying to do Vegas to the Grand Canyon, and back to Vegas in the same day, because it simply isn't worth the time. For that trip, you spend around 10 hours in a car and only get an hour or two of time at the canyon. What you are proposing is basically the same thing, except doing 50% more driving!

In other words, over the course of about 24 hours, you'd be on the road for about 15 of them! That is barely enough time to sleep, and it certainly doesn't leave any time left over for scenic routes or actually seeing the Grand Canyon.

What is your plan after arriving back in Vegas? Do you have some more time before you have to head back home, or were you planning to head back to SD on Monday? Unless you can rework things to give yourselves quite a bit more time on the road, I don't think visiting the Grand Canyon makes sense this time around. Just focus on Vegas and actually have a good time.

Default Grand Canyon flights.

When you are in Vegas you will see many advertisements for flights over the Grand Canyon. Be forewarned that these flights do not go over the National Park. They go over the west rim, which is Indian land. You would not see the spectacular scenery with which you will be familiar from photos and videos of the Grand Canyon.

Lifey

5. Default

from responses on this thread i've decided just to take my cousins to vegas. it'll be simple.

With the time you have it seems to be the sensible thing to do, although you still haven't mentioned when you plan on being back in SD. Depending on this you might have a chance to drive through the Mojave National preserve and/or Joshua Tree NP.

That seems like a much wiser move. Depending upon how much time you have overall, you might consider some of the many other great natural sites that are much closer to Vegas than Grand Canyon.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gordony View Post
    from responses on this thread i've decided just to take my cousins to vegas. it'll be simple.
    That's better. You will find more cousins in Las Vegas and will more fun there.. :)