1. Default Dallas to Las vegas

Hello All,

I'm planning on a road trip from Dallas to Las Vegas (and back) in December. Trip duration would be around 11-12 days (12/20 - 12/30), with 2 full days & night in Vegas.
    The initial draft of my itinerary is something like:

Day 1: Dallas to New Mexico (somplace close to Albuquerque, approx 550mi from Dallas).
    Day 2: Stopover in Flagstaff. If time permits, sightseeing in Sedona.
    Day 3: Visit Grand Canyon. I guess around 3-4 hours should be sufficient to see the GC. Will head to Vegas from Grand Canyon.
    Day 4,5: In Vegas
    Day 6: Travel to Bryce National Park. Overnight stay in Bryce
    Day 7: Travel to Monument Valley, overnight stay
    Day 8,9: Travel to Albuquerque. Planning to spend 2 days there and see places nearby (Santa Fe)
    Day 10: Travel to Alamogordo (White Sands). Spend around 3-4 hrs in White Sands and then return to Dallas, stopping somewhere in between (?).

Does this sound like a resonable trip? I'll need some help with stopover destinations & budget accomodations along the route, anything I should cover or leave out.

Thanks.

Default excellent

I think you've done an excellent job of planning this trip. The only one minor thing I will disagree with is saying that 3-4 hours is enough for the Grand Canyon. People tend to underestimate just how big the park is. You could easily spend a full day or more there, if you want do more than just peek over the edge right at the village. There are miles and miles of viewpoints and they are all different. You don't have to make a major change to your plan, just don't be surprised if you need a little more time, and end up getting into Vegas late this day.

For places to stop in New Mexico, I'd suggest Santa Rosa will be a good spot on day one, and perhaps Carlsbad might be a good spot to consider on your way home, perhaps squeezing in a stop at the Caverns after White Sands.

Default Agreed.

I'm with Michael, you have done a good job with your planning, but be prepared to spend more time at the canyon. You could check the cost of NP park lodgings in December and see if they suit your budget. Another option would be to stay at the Cameron Trading post which is close to the east entry point of GC and a pretty cool place. It's located on US 89 about an hour north of Flagstaff and with an early start would give you more time in the canyon starting with the viewpoints along Desertview drive. This follows the same direction as the Colorado River as it cuts it's way into the main canyon area and is a great way to visit the canyon imo. It also saves doubling back on yourself by going in the east kiosk and out of the south kiosk.

The other thing to be aware of is that Bryce canyon is at high elevation and you have a good chance of seeing ice and snow. The park remains open year round but you should pack warm layered clothing and check conditions. Daytime temps can struggle to get above 0C and night time temps can drop below -10C, if that's not a problem it can be a spectacular time to visit. If it is, or the weather makes it a problem, you would have the option of visiting Zion NP which is at lower elevation and may offer better conditions.

Are you still planning on, or taken your Fall Foilage trip ?

Default Budget accomodation.

For budget accommodation look for the hotel motel discount booklets at rest areas, welcome centres and some truck stops.

Lifey

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by asrivastava View Post
    Hello All,

Day 10: Travel to Alamogordo (White Sands). Spend around 3-4 hrs in White Sands and then return to Dallas, stopping somewhere in between (?).

Does this sound like a resonable trip? I'll need some help with stopover destinations & budget accomodations along the route, anything I should cover or leave out.

Thanks.
    I have taken US380 all the way to McKinney TX from I25 Alamogordo area via Ruidoso. It's long drive but few small towns in between and most town have budget hotels but not many.

If you plan to stopover night in between then you may consider via Hobbs NM, Big Spring TX and other towns along I20.

Cheers,

6. Default

Thank you all for your advise.
    I agree that 4-5 hours is not sufficient for GC, or probably for most of the National parks I have on my itinerary, but for this trip, I could only manage so much time.
    I'm still ironing out the details and will seek your help.

Thanks again.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Are you still planning on, or taken your Fall Foilage trip ?
    I haven't taken the trip yet, but planning for 1st week of Nov. I'm thinking about Lake Murray and/or Chicakasaw national recreation park (Oklahoma) for a day trip. Does anyone know if it's worth the drive?