1. Default Newbie traveling to Ga

Hi, I'm a newbie and I'm traveling from Silverdale, Wa to Atlanta, Ga by the way of Vacaville, Ca then to Las Vegas, stop to see the Grand Canyon and a quick stop in Killeen, Texas and then on to Atlanta. It will be just me and wanted to know if March is a bad month or April better? Looking at driving about 8/9 hours a day. Also what's the best route!!! Thanks so much. I'm excited as this will be me time. I left Ga in Nov 2011 to care for my parents and they both passed in 2012, then took care of my grandson while my daughter was deployed.

Joy

Welcome!

How many days do you have to make this trip, how much time do you want to have in Vacaville, LV, GC, and Killeen? Is there anything else between these points you would like to see?

3. Default

How many days do you have to make this trip, how much time do you want to have in Vacaville, LV, GC, and Killeen? Is there anything else between these points you would like to see?
    I was going to stay in Vacaville the longest as that's home, LV maybe 2 days have Aunt-friends there, GC 2 days and Killeen maybe 2/3 days, my son is stationed there. I have no time limit really....
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-20-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Format

Default Best Use of Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If, as it seems, you are free to make this trip anytime in March or April then your best bet is not to decide that now, but rather wait until you see a good opening in the weather for a few days along the west coast. Forecasts are generally accurate enough for planning purposes out to about 72 hours into the future. So with a forecast for three good days in Washington, Oregon, and northern California, you could even take a day to get your affairs in order in Silverdale and still have time to get down to the Mediterranean/Desert climates of southern California without fear of a major storm overtaking you. A two day straight shot down I-5 would get you to somewhere around Bakersfield CA.

From there CA-58 would take you east to I-40 and a 'detour' up I-15 and back down US-93 will take you through Las Vegas. Another 'detour' on AZ-64 and US-89 will take you from Williams up through Grand Canyon National Park and back to I-40 at Flagstaff. To make the connection to Kileen, you'd leave I-40 at Santa Rosa NM and follow US-84 to Coleman TX and then use US-283/US-67/US-183 through Brownwood to Lampasas, and finish up on US-190 to Kileen. From there I-35 would take you back north to Waco where TX-31 would provide a good cut-off that avoids Dallas and gets you to I-20 at Tyler. I-20 would then take you the rest of the way to Atlanta.

You could probably make the entire trip in seven days of 9 hr/day of driving, but add a couple of days to the journey and you'll have plenty of time to explore sites along the way and enjoy other aspects of "me time".

AZBuck

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There's not a huge amount of difference between traveling in March vs. April. The odds of you seeing a late season winter storm are a bit higher in March, but its not something that should keep you from traveling if thats what works best for you. With unlimited time available, even weather shouldn't be much of a factor, since you can always wait a day or two for things to clear up.

Your route should be pretty straight forward. The drive to Vacaville is will take you about a day and a half, taking I-5. You could get from there to Vegas in a long day on the road. It's about a half day from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. The drive onto Killeen will take you 2 days. The shortest route would basically have you take I-40 to Santa Rosa, NM and then cut down US-84 through Lubbock. Santa Rosa would be about the halfway point, for a stop over. Killeen to Atlanta is another day and a half to 2 days. Shortest route would be I-35 up to Waco, across TX-31 to Tyler, and then I-20 all the way to Atlanta.

Of course, there are lots of other parks and places you could add into your trip, it just depends upon what you're interested in and how much time you want to spend on the road.

6. Default

Thanks for the feed back....
    Joy