Default Advice for SF to Vancouver (1st road trip since 2004!)

Hi all,

Thanks for taking time to read! I apologize in advance if too much detail.

New to forums-been reading all the info- you guys are awesome to share!

Driving in a few weeks for a 5-6 day trip - no specific time to get anywhere - just back to SF by 6th day.
    Have some experience driving in snow/ice but pref not to on this trip if there's a road i can take back to 101N.

1. just myself in a Chevy truck 1-way to Seattle.
    2. via public trans Seattle to Vancouver (just to get a stamp on my passport--haha) and eat
    3. via public trans Vancouver to wherever in WA/OR then to SF.
    4. I've tried mapquest and randmcnally but having trouble pin pointing side roads,etc.

How far before or into OR can I take I-5 before hitting any possible ice/snow -- Is there a road I can take back to 101 to avoid it?

Will leave SF 4 or 5 a.m. (or sooner if you think?) to get to OR in one day, then take my time thru OR/WA to take in view, etc.

Any advice, tips, must-see stops/food places will be greatly appreciated!

With great respect to all,
    Marz

Default Bits and Pieces

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's start with just some semi-random observations about your planned trip. Having just driven in the Bay Area at rush hour (a nightmare), I would suggest that you get out of town well before it starts in the morning. You probably know more about this than I do, but I would thin a 5:00 AM departure would be sufficient to get you on the 5 north well before traffic really starts to get heavy. That should easily get you well into Oregon before evening. I'd aim for Eugene even though you might be able to get farther. Trying to do too much on the first day, especially with shortened sleep the night before, would just put you behind the curve for the rest of the trip.

That would still leave you a little time to check out Portland and a bit of the Columbia River Gorge while still getting to Seattle the next day. The third day would be your public transport trip up to Vancouver and back. Amtrak has train service up in the morning and back in the evening, so that could work. There are also several bus connections between the two cities throughout the day. You will, of course, need your passport to be in order. In all likelihood it will not get stamped.

Weather will be what it is at the time of your drive (not given) and of course the later into fall/winter you make the trip, the more likely you are to see snow. You don't have enough time in your plans to sit out or drive around any weather that would cause traffic problems, so it's simply going to be a matter of checking the forecast just before you leave and if a major storm is in the offing, then you'll have to decide whether or not to just cancel your trip or add enough time to wait for the storm to pass and for the road crews to do their job. The only viable connection between I-5 and US-101 in your case is US-199 from Grants Pass OR to Crescent City CA.

AZBuck

Is there a reason you don't want to just continue driving from Seattle onto Vancouver? It just seems odd to me that you'd drive all the way to Washington, and then have an issue with driving a few more hours into Canada.

Hi AZBuck,
    Thanks so much for the detailed info!
    ITs been so long since my last road trip that I've forgotten all the simple but very important thngs to consider, ie, not getting to anxious or too excited thinking I can make it further than Eugene!
    I am disappointed that my passport wont be stamped - heavy sigh but makes sense after thinking about all the border crossings to mexico..lol.
    Do you know if it'll be stamped if I fly in?
    I appreciate the time you've taken!
    Ms. MarzBenz

Hi Midwest Michael,
    Thanks for taking time to read and ask!
    I'm driving the truck up for someone who lives in Bremerton.
    I am looking forward taking the truck on the ferry just to experience that.
    And, I wanted to take the added trip to Canada just to get my passport stamped, and thought I could just stay for a meal then head back.
    Now I know it won't be stamped! jokes on me! lol.
    I have looked into the local transportation options like Bolt bus, shuttles services, etc.
    I guess I've got alot more reading to do!
    Silly I know but thought it could be an added adventure.
    Any advice or suggestions always, always welcome!
    Thanks again!
    Ms MarzBenz

Default Make the most of the truck perhaps.

Silly I know but thought it could be an added adventure.
    Not silly at all. It's what turns a drive into a road trip adventure and we understand that here !

1. just myself in a Chevy truck 1-way to Seattle.
    Is this a regular Pick up truck ? [Not a load moving truck] If so have you considered making it more of a road trip on the way up to do some sight seeing while you have transport and more independance and then use public transport [fly?] direct back home. Perhaps see more of the coast and Redwoods, Portland etc over 3.5 to 4 days, spend a day or so in Seattle and then home.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Not silly at all. It's what turns a drive into a road trip adventure and we understand that here !

Is this a regular Pick up truck ? [Not a load moving truck] If so have you considered making it more of a road trip on the way up to do some sight seeing while you have transport and more independance and then use public transport [fly?] direct back home. Perhaps see more of the coast and Redwoods, Portland etc over 3.5 to 4 days, spend a day or so in Seattle and then home.
    It's a regular pickup truck. Yes, (since I have permission to use truck as so), am already planning stops in OR/WA, then fly or amtrack back home depending weather to WA. I've used the map options with food/stops etc the site recommends.

I'm excited! And I look forward to anymore suggestions/comments!