The reason I'm here is because I have questions that I'm hoping to find answers for, and this forum looks a great place to get them.
I'll brief you first to give you a bit more info; myself and two friends (2 x 21, 1 x 22 year old) plan on doing a cross country road trip from Boston to LA from around the start of June 2015 into midway July, we plan on renting a car and obviously using one way rental and leaving the car in LA.
Reputable sites on the internet have given me various quotes from £1000 to £3500, we'd happy to pay up to £2500, anything less than £2000 would be fantastic considering our ages and the different drop off point.
Using mapping software our trip will take 70H 18M, travelling 4510miles and costing $774 in petrol/gas, obviously this is very inaccurate and doesn't take into account so many variables but it's an alright rough guide.
After a quick scan on the internet I found returns from Heathrow to Boston for £480, and then a flight the day before from LA to Boston for £100. To me this seems cheap.
The experience we're looking for on our travels, is of course good nights of drinking in lively places, taking in great scenery, visiting exciting cities and towns, and general touristy places, good places to eat, good leisure, a bit of sport (playing and watching), maybe even some fishing! Of course this is all in abundance in the states.
Our budgets are healthy, we're already putting away savings, this is a bit of a dream of ours! We could easily gather $5-7,000 dollars each, if this isn't needed, great! Also bare in mind we're happy to rough it out and scrape by!
So here's a few questions....
- How should we go about renting a car? Any good sites/ways to do it? The range in results has left me uncertain.
- What time range would you give this road trip? We'd like to stop a few days in some cities and we're currently looking at 1 and a half to 2 months.
- Is the information I've listed above accurate from roadtrippers.com?
- How much spending money would you recommend? We're not going to be splashing cash on materialistic stuff (much, some souvenirs would be nice!), more experiences, maybe a few sporting events depending what's in season and other general activities.
- We're happy to stay in the biggest dives going, but what's a good guide to cheap motel prices per night?
- If the route is viewable for you all what kind of places and stuff could you recommend within distance of it? Any must sees or dos? We're up for absolutely everything!
If there's anything else you can pick out or any advice you can offer it would be much appreciated. My minds gone blank right now which isn't ideal but I'm sure I'll think of many more questions.
Moderator Note: Your map link didn't work, and the generic link to a competing website is not needed or allowed.