Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Canada/USA

  1. Default Canada/USA

    Hi everybody first of all i just want to say im 100% frenchie so if you don't understand what i am saying im sorry about that.

    I have a question that never get answers:

    Im from Canada,i understand i can stay 180 days(6 month) in USA,but this is 180 days a years or 180 days strike ?

    By exemple if i can stay 6 month a years in USA that mean i can stay 1 years but im not sure at all,look:

    The first 180 days would be in 2013 July,august,september,october,november,december.
    The second 180 days is in 2014 January,february,march,april,may,june.

    So if it 180 days a years i can technically stay for a years ?

    I hope y'all understand something of all this.

    Peace out guys !

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Tucson, AZ

    Default We Can Only Guess

    Bienvenue sur les forums de RoadTrip Amérique. Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    First and foremost: We are NOT a good source for legal advice. You should check everything you read here (or on any website that does not charge for the service) with the proper authorities, namely the nearest U.S. consulate. However, here is my take on this. You can stay in the U.S. 183 days (6 months) on any single entry into the country. There is no aggregate limit for our Canadian neighbors, so theoretically, you could enter (and leave - that's important!) twice a year and not break any laws. However, your activity will be noted and could raise red flags on any subsequent attempt to enter the U.S.

    More to the point, however, and much more problematical is your plan to basically stay in the U.S. for an entire year. Even if you can technically do it legally, how do you plan to support yourself? You cannot legally work in the U.S. without a 'green card', and if you are found to be working here illegally you will be deported and your employer fined. Again, this is not a set of questions you want to get advice on from random people on the Internet. Contact the nearest U.S. consulate.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Green County, Wisconsin

    Default It doesn't work like that

    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    I can tell you for sure that no, you can not spend 12 consecutive months in the US, simply by arriving in July.

    As a Canadian visitor, without a visa, you must leave the US within 6 months of your arrival. I can say that with confidence. If you arrive on July 1, you would have to return to Canada before January 1.

    What I'm not as clear about is when you would be allowed to return. If the rule is 6 months per calendar year, then I suppose at least theoretically, you could arrive in July, return to Canada at the start of January, and then turn around and come back into the US after resetting your clock. However, it is also possible that you only get 6 months out of every 12, and if that is the case, you wouldn't be allowed back into the US again until July. You really need to contact the US embassy and/or US Immigration directly to get that clarified.

    Keep in mind, the longer you plan to stay in the US, the more you are going to be looked at during the border crossing process. You will need to be able to show that you can support yourself during the entire length of your visit. If they get the impression that you plan to be working in the US during your visit, or do anything else that violate the terms of the tourist entry priviledges, they can refuse your entry. Remember, they don't have to prove that you're going to do something wrong, you have to prove that you will be following the rules.

  4. Default

    Thanks guys it's very helpful i will probably call the consulate as soon as i can,and i don't have any intention to work in USA.

    Peace !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Melbourne, Australia

    Default Make sure you have a good reason.

    So much depends on why you are entering the US. If it is a valid reason such as visiting close family, you may find that you can re enter after only a very brief trip back home. But I agree with the advice above, contact the consulate or embassy and ask there. They will want to know why you wish to enter the US, and it better be a valid and truthful reason. Otherwise you might see that red flag come up against your name.

    I suggest you write to the consulate, or fill in the form on the website.

    In my case my visa allows me to stay for six months. Last year, after returning home for only a week, I was granted another six months. With children and grandchildren in the US there is never any hesitation at the border. It does not stop them asking every time just how much I have to support me. Once I was asked to show proof.


Similar Threads

  1. L.A. to Canada
    By imported_Linda in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 08:22 AM
  2. NC to Canada
    By jlmickel in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
  3. NY- Canada.
    By tbilisi79 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
  4. canada
    By lizzie in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:58 PM
  5. just 20 and need car in canada
    By Philipp in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2002, 01:40 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name