Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SF Bay Area

Default Northern Parks: 2013

Been back two weeks now, and now have a enough photos processed and some time on my hands so I'll at least START a report.

Left on August 28th, back home September 22nd - 26 days.

Total transit miles (spent getting from point A to point B) - 3,520 over 11 days for an average of 320 miles/transit day.

Total sightseeing miles (spent on days where we were plopped in one location) - 1104 over 15 days, or around 75 miles/'plop day'

Philosophical Comment: road trips are a matter of personal taste and situation; what works for one person may not for others. You have to decide what works for you and where you want to spend your time and money, and how much time and money you are willing to spend on a vacation. What works for an older couple who are willing to 'spend their kid's inheritance' may not work for a young couple or person just starting out in life. The ingredients are all the same... we all get to choose where we want to go, what we want to see, what we want to do, where we want to stay, and what we want to eat.

Linda and I enjoy the food and lodging as much as the locations, so our choices focus as much in THOSE area as the location and activities. Those are not a priority for many road-trippers. Because of our focus on lodging, you should know I booked many of these hotels 14-16 months in advance, just so we could be sure we were able to get a reservation at a place we wanted to be.

I like to hit as many places as I can... Linda likes to squat in one location. We compromise by spending at least three nights at a place we want to see, and only do 'one-nighters' when transiting between home and the start of the vacation proper, returning home, and occasionally when the distance between two 'attractions' is too far for one day's drive. This trip followed that pattern.

Day 1 (transit): Home to Reno - 200 miles, 3:50 elapsed. Pretty much just a drive through after work to get on the road. I like to schedule a short first day, as getting packed up and ready to go is stressful enough without having a long drive on top of it. Nothing much to write about here; traffic through Sacto was terrible, and Reno was heavy with smoke from the Rim fire in Yosemite.

Day 2 (transit): Reno to Twin Falls - 470 miles, 8:00 elapsed. Mostly just a straight drive. Finally broke clear of the smoke halfway through Nevada. Stopped for lunch in Elko; basque food served family style at one of the many traditional basque restaurants in towns along I80 in Nevada: the Star Hotel.

Photo: Don Casey

Turned left out of Elko and headed north to Twin Falls Idaho. After checking into the La Quinta (very nice hotel) we popped over and checked out Shoshone Falls. Running at maybe 10% of peak flow, it was still pretty impressive.

Dinner at Elevation 486 - decent food, good bar, incredible view of the Snake River gorge. (Name refers to how high it is relative to the Snake River)

Next post: final 'getting started' transit day, and first 'plop' location; Grand Teton National Park

South of England.

Default Nice pictures.

Hi Don.

Nice to see you completed your trip and I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing your photo's. Love the picture of the Falls, I can't believe how much more flow there is compared to when we were there just a few days later !

[ I waved at a black Acura in Glacier, well it turned out to be dark blue and I got a strange look returned] ;-)

Tucson, AZ

Default The Star, Etc.

The Star Hotel offers a unique dining experience, Basque inspired food in a family setting. When I ate there I actually felt a bit guilty because they're really set up to serve platters of food that are shared by a table full of people, and I was alone. Still, they accommodated me - great mutton - and I just sat backed and basked (pun intended) in the laughter and conversation of the tables around me. I generally try to recommend a stop there for a meal whenever I see someone is going to be in the Elko area.

The other diversion that I recommend between Elko and Twin Falls is to take NV-225 north out of Elko through the Duck Valley Indian Reservation to ID-51 and Bruneau, where both Bruneau Canyon and Bruneau Sand Dunes are off-the-beaten-path memorable experiences.

SF Bay Area

Default One final transit day...

Day 3 (transit): Twin Falls to Grand Teton - 300 miles, 7:30 elapsed

Got in some actual sight-seeing on this transit day. Not much, since we did have 300 miles to cover and dinner reservations waiting for us at the end of the day (covered in my next post).

First stop was Craters of the Moon:

The Snake River plain is the result of the "Yellowstone Hot Spot," a series of mega-volcanos that passed through here a million or so years ago (more on this in a future post); the series started in south-eastern Oregon and has passed through northern Nevada, southern Idaho, and into Wyoming.

Craters of the Moon, however, is a much more recent series of lava flows, perhaps a dozen or so thousands of years old, caused by 'crustal extension', where the Earth's crust has been stretched out, creating cracks (The Great Rift Zone) that allowed the lava to erupt through. It is an eery place, with lava flows, cinder cones, spatter cones, etc.

Hit the visitor center, drove the main loop road and stopped to do one interpretive trail and the jaunt to the lip of one of the spatter cones (the one to the right in the picture above, you can see the path winding up on the right side of the butte). One of the problems with throwing a 300 mile transit in the middle of a day is you don't have much time to linger, so after an hour or so we were back on the road. Would have enjoyed taking another hike or two.

Stopped in Arco to hit a deli to pick up lunch to go, then off to EBR-1.

Above is the control room of Experimental Breeder Reactor 1; set up in the 1950s in the middle of the Idaho Snake River plain, far enough from anyplace of value in the event it went boom. This is the world's first reactor to produce usable amounts of electricity. "Breeder" because this reactor created new fuel as part of the reactor process. Long since decommisioned, you can tour the entire building, stand on top of the old reactor vessel, and eyeball two prototype nuclear AIRCRAFT (!) engines in the parking lot.

These worked but were never actually deployed... something about the weight and deleterious effects to the crew of the radiation from the reactors (shielding is heavy and heavy doesn't work real well in an airplane), they were conceived at the height of the cold war with the idea that nuclear powered nuclear bombers could stay aloft for weeks and months on end. Think 'flying nuclear submarines'.

After an hour here (including time to eat the lunch we bought in Arco), we took the shortest route to the Grand Tetons (next post)

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default More things to see at Arco

A few more things about Arco...

Number Mountain Trail by Dennis Weaver

Our first visit to Number Mountain in 2005

RTA's Mark and Megan's first visit to the EBR-1 reactor... (more photos on page 2 of the reactor).

Default Philosophical Comment.

Interesting observation; we are an “older couple” and I tend to make the arrangements after filtering ideas through my wife. In our earlier days time and money was an issue but now as we are older time is not an issue and money less so. It makes a difference.

In our early days with kids it was about time, money and location; also self-feeding and camping/static caravan making full use of a car working out of one location usually near the sea. The kids were not interested in road travel and sightseeing. Now, just the two of us, it is more about flying and seeing places which ring our bell. Not hammering the mileage and carefully choosing an hotel with emphasis on location and food.

My view is you spend, normally in a day, as much time at the hotel as you do on the road. And like you I put much research into pre planning. Found in life if you don’t pre look where you are going you can miss so much. I have a mantra that you do all you can when visiting a place on the theory you may never go there again. It works for us.

I have a thirst for travel and this year we were lucky to visit South America for a few weeks visiting very interesting places. Just hope my marbles and legs keep functioning.

SF Bay Area

Default Days 4 and 5: Grand Teton National Park - 140 miles doing local sightseeing

Eris: thanks for your reflections.

Forgot to mention: something like 2,500 images shot on this trip.

Lodging was Jenny Lake Lodge; a real splurge. A series of cabins (most from the 1920s, formerly part of a Dude Ranch) clustered around a small central lodge building comprising a small lobby and a restaurant and kitchen. Cost of the room includes breakfast and dinner for two, and wow is the food fantastic! The cook here is amazing! We are probably going to come back here someday, something we rarely do. (One of the few places we do return to will show up at the end of this series of posts).

The first morning we took a hike after breakfast. Across the road from the lodge is a bridge over the stream that runs from String Lake down into Jenny Lake.

We crossed the bridge and did the 5 mile (or so) hike around String Lake. After working off breakfast, it was time to head off to lunch. We drove up the park road to Jackson Lake Lodge, where I had made reservations ( at the Mural Room.

Jackson Lake Lodge is also nice (stayed here 20 years ago or so), and is considerably less pricey than Jenny Lake Lodge. It has a number of food/drink options, but the Mural Room is the clear winner from a scenery perspective. Food was OK, but not remarkable... you go here for the view.

The lobby of Jackson Lake Lodge has two story glass windows that look out over Jackson Lake to the Tetons beyond, a great place to sit and contemplate the Tetons from a comfy chair. From lunch we hit the visitor center in Colter Bay, then went back via the main road with stops at Snake River Overlook (a must for Ansel Adams fans) and Cunningham Cabin, a preserved log cabin from the early days of Jackson Hole.

Day 2 had us heading down to Moose to catch a float trip down the Snake. Lots of fun, but I was too chicken to bring along the big camera, so the shots I got with the pocket waterproof of the 4-5 eagles we saw aren't worthy of being posted. After the float we popped into the visitor center in Moose, then headed down to Jackson to shop and do lunch.

Yep; those are Elk antlers, piled up at each corner of the town square. Elk drop antlers each winter, and the local Boy Scouts collect them to raise money. Yep, that's us under the arch. Had a local beer in the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, had lunch at "Local" next door (pretty good), and shopped. The hat on Linda's head was purchased at a shop just off the town square (mine was purchased at home).

The morning of our final day (which was our transit day to Yellowstone) I got up before sunrise to get over to Mormon Row on the east side of Jackson Hole, where a couple old barns are much favored by photographers of every level of skill. What you want is to get the rays of the rising sun hitting the barn and the Tetons beyond. Unfortunately for me, it was overcast and while I got some sun on the Tetons, the barn stayed in shadow. Should have tried this the first morning.

HOWEVER, from a wildlife perspective, this was a great morning! Had to stop/slow down a couple times to let some elk and then deer cross the road on my way to Mormon Row. Once there, I had to park a bit away from the photo location due to bison. I (carefully) edged from my car to the spot where the hardy band a 10 or so photographers were set up waiting for sunrise (I kept a fence and 20 yards between me and the bison). After shooting a bunch of disappointing shots, I turned to go back to my car... now surrounded by 10-20 bison!

Note: I'm not completely insane, that shot was done with a telephoto lens and I waited for the bison to keep migrating until they were well clear of my car. After they got on the far side of the car, I slowly worked my way to the car door, keeping the car between me and the bison at all times. On my way out, another surprise...

A brace of pronghorn (antelope) were no more than 5 yards off Mormon Row. I shot 10-12 shots from the seat of my car, as they slowly worked their way across the sagebrush flats.

Elk, deer, bison, pronghorn... all in the space of an hour or two; time to head back to the lodge to meet Linda for our final breakfast and pack up to leave. Got as far as the bridge over the Snake in Moose, and noticed a bunch of people on the bridge looking downstream. Yeah, it's Moose time in Moose. Mr. Moose was lounging in the willows next to the river. Hauled out the super-telephoto and ripped off a dozen shots. He never got out of the willows, so a head shot is all I got.

After loading up our tummies and the car at Jenny Lake Lodge, we headed back down the park road to Moose, to visit Menor's Ferry historical district. Gassed up and stopped at the bridge so Linda could see Mr. Moose. We also stopped one more time in Colter Bay visitor center before heading north to Yellowstone (next post).

Transit to Yellowstone: 105 miles, 4:03 elapsed (including all that sightseeing)

SF Bay Area

Default ...continuing the saga

Day 6 (transit) : Grand Teton To Yellowstone - 100 miles, 4:30 elapsed.

Elaborating a bit on the end of the last post....

Since this was a short driving day, we spent the morning doing some final sightseeing in Grand Teton before heading up to Yellowstone.

After breakfast we headed back down the park road to Moose, where we visited the Menor's Ferry historic district, stopped at the bridge so Linda could see the moose (same moose), gassed up at Dornans and headed north on US89. One more stop at the visitor center at Colter Bay to view the Native American exhibit we'd missed the first time, then off into Yellowstone.

Made a stop or two to get out, stretch and take a shot or two at the Continental Divide (which you cross three times between Grand Teton and the Old Faithful area) and Lewis Falls, then on to Old Faithful Inn.

This and the next lodging in Glacier were the hardest to get. In order to get them lined up correctly I had to book them in June of 2012; 16 months in advance. Even then, I had to adjust our departure date from home in order to get them lined up right... and this was toward the end of their season. Yikees.

We got to Yellowstone early enough to have lunch in the bar, and it was decent enough that we ended up eating there another night. Shared the mixed bratwurst platter and had some local beers.

Dinner that night was in the main dining room at the Inn. Frankly, it was a zoo. Could not hear yourself think. Way too many people, way too much noise. Decided we needed to find other places to dine the next two nights.

Room was good, in the East wing facing Old Faithful. Never saw it go off from the room, as it was screened by some trees.

Day 7 and 8: Yellowstone National Park - 240 miles doing local sightseeing.

On each of our full days we did two loops through the park; here's how they played out.

Day 7

Picked up breakfast-to-go from the snack shop off the lobby, and took it up to the 2nd floor outdoor veranda, where we ate it while watching Old Faithful show off.

Picture: Don Casey

We then hiked the Geyser Hill loop, down to Morning Glory Pool and back. Along the way we hit Grotto Geyser just as it was starting to erupt, and we watched it for awhile. Grotto has a very intricate cone (formed of "Geyserite" a silica-based rock) but doesn't erupt very high. Geologic note: most of the formations in the hot springs/geyser areas of Yellowstone are formed as the result of silica-rich water depositing their minerals as the hot water cools when it reaches the surface. One notable exception is coming up below.

At the far end of our morning loop was Morning Glory Pool:

After the hike we hopped in the car and headed north. Took the Firehole Lake Drive and also the Firehole River Drive. Popped into the bookstore at Norris Geyser Basin, but decided to skip hiking the two basins there and continued on north to the Mammoth Springs area.

Had a decent (and quiet!) dinner in the Mammoth Springs Hotel dining room, then popped over to the Mammoth Springs Terraces for a quick look.

These are not Geyserite (silicon-based), these are Calcite (calcium-based). The hot water that feeds these springs passes through limestone beds, picking up calcium carbonate (the stuff from which most cave formations are formed), which is then deposited in these elaborate and colorful terraces. "Live" terraces are white or stained by bacteria and algae; "dead" terraces, which no longer are fed by the springs, are grey and crumbly.

Completed the upper loop of the Yellowstone figure 8; saw some pronghorn but not much else, and back to bed.

Day 8

Headed straight back to Norris, where we hiked the back basin (Fountain Paint Pots, etc.). Cut over to Canyon where we hiked a little bit of the North Rim Trail to get this shot of Yellowstone Falls:

Lunch at Canyon Lodge Dining room (pretty good) and a little shopping in Canyon Village, then completed the loop of the bottom half of the Yellowstone figure 8, along Yellowstone Lake and back to the lodge for our final night. Dinner in the bar (Bear Pit Lounge: bratwurst plate again).

So; about OF Inn. I'm glad we stayed there... once. It has a lot of people in it at all times of the day... it is a popular place. You don't go here to get away from crowds. That said, it is one of the treasures of our park system, and as long as you understand what it is, you'll have a great time. Since we had just come from three days of peace and quiet at Jenny Lake Lodge, the contrast was huge. Would have worked better with a clockwise trip than a counter-clockwise trip.

If you want a quieter lodging experience, but still within the park itself, then Mammoth or maybe Lake is probably a better bet. Canyon looked pretty crowded too; the short time we spent there.

SF Bay Area

Default Glacier National Park

Day 9 (transit) : Yellowstone to Glacier - 440 miles, 10:30 elapsed.

This was going to be a long transit day, so we were on the road by 8am. Gas in West Yellowstone, past Hebgen then Earthquake Lakes, and straight through to our lunch stop in Helena. Half a lifetime ago and three jobs ago, I went to Helena a few times on work assignments... it still remains one of my favorite (small) cities. We had lunch at Old Miners Dining Club in Caretaker's Cabin, just off Last Chance Gulch at the foot of Reeder's Alley. I had the Huckleberry BBB pulled pork sandwich, Linda had the taco salad but had them use the pulled pork for the meat. Washed down with some local beers; yummy!

Had just enough time to do some shopping on Last Chance Gulch, and we were off again. Those with more time should visit the State Capitol building, Helena Cathedral and more of the downtown area. You should also consider the "Gates of the Mountains" boat trip that leaves an hour or so outside of town. The scenery is great, you might see some wildlife, and the tragic tale of the Mann Gulch smokejumper tragedy told on the trip at the turnaround point is something that has stuck with me for years. Norman Maclean ("A River Runs Through It") studied this event in his later years (he had worked forest fires as a young man), and wrote a moving book about it ("Young Men and Fire") that was published posthumously.

We drove straight on to Many Glacier Hotel in Glacier National Park, arriving in time for dinner. Upon checking in we found the fates had smiled upon us. Even though I had made reservations over a year in advance, I had not been able to book a lakeside room; my reservation was for a shared balcony room on the other side of the hotel. We found that somehow we were in a lakeside room, on the main floor, with a shared balcony! You'll see why this is a big deal below. We grabbed a beer in the lounge, then had a good meal in a restaurant where you could actually hear your dinner partner talking to you... with a violin soloist playing to help set the mood! Had a window seat with a view of Swiftcurrent Lake, where a moose was dining on the far shore.

Days 10 and 11: Glacier National Park - 200 miles doing local sightseeing

The first morning we had breakfast, then headed down from Swiftcurrent Valley to Saint Mary, eastern gateway of Going-to-the-Sun road. We were a little concerned about the clouds, with good cause. When we hit Logan Pass visitor center, visibility was at best 100 feet. We had entered the clouds no more than a mile or two before the summit (and exited them about the same distance down the west side). This pretty much shot the plan to hike out to Hidden Lake Overlook, so after a brief stop in the center we continued down west.

The plan had been to do the hike, maybe also do Trail of the Cedars, do lunch on the west side and then backtrack over GTTS road. We decided instead to take the drive around the southern edge of the park, and do some sightseeing on that loop. With that, it was time to eat. Lake McDonald Lodge seemed like a good plan, and the lunch was decent. Headed for Apgar at the foot of the lake, where there is a great place to shoot the many-colored pebbles that form the floor of the lake.

Hit some shops in Apgar, then swung around the bottom of the park to East Glacier, where we checked out the lobby and shops of Glacier Park Lodge. From there, we stopped in Browning (on the Blackfeet Reservation) to visit the Museum of the Plains Indian and the adjacent Blackfeet Heritage Center and Art Gallery.

On the final leg back, we decided to have dinner in the Park Cafe in Saint Mary, noted for their pies. Had a very good dinner (super menu!), great pies, and bought a t-shirt ("Pie for Strength!").

Back at Many Glacier, I took this shot of the mountains shortly after sunset. Taken from the balcony of our room, you can still see the clouds we had contended with earlier in the day.

Our final full day we took the two-boat, two hike trip to Grinnell Lake (not the Grinnell Glacier hike; a much more strenuous affair) in the morning, then did laundry at the Swiftcurrent Lodge laundromat while picnicking on some sandwiches obtained from the lodge restaurant.

We hung around the Many Glacier area for the rest of the day, and spotted this guy a hundred yards or so up the hillside across the entrance road.

Our final morning we were greeted by a spectacular sunrise across the lake: I shot this in my jammies and bare feet from the balcony.

Many Glacier Hotel: small rooms, smaller beds, rustic. Less hectic than Old Faithful Inn (not nearly so many day visitors, and a smaller property to begin with). We think this place needs better treatment, and it might get it. Shortly before we arrived it was announced that Glacier Park Company had lost their bid to renew operating the in-park properties, and Xanterra (ex: Fred Harvey) would be taking over. It will be interesting to see what changes are made. The season here is brutally short, but the properties must be maintained all year. Neither Glacier nor Xanterra will be getting rich running the Glacier hotels, but I hope Xanterra kicks things up a notch. Note: Glacier Park Inc will still run it's own properties outside the park, including Glacier Park Hotel in East Glacier, Grouse Mountain Lodge, The Lodge at Saint Mary, and Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton Lakes.

SF Bay Area

Default Banff

Day 12 (transit): Glacier to Banff - 280 miles, 6:30 elapsed

One final Glacier sunrise, one final breakfast in the hotel restaurant (buffet; decent if not spectacular). Border crossing was a snap (not so much coming back, more on that later)... drove up, had a 30 second conversation, showed passports, and were waved through.

Decided to skip Waterton, as there didn't seem to be time to fit in two sightseeing stops on a 300 mile day; and Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump was the winner.

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is an interpretive museum that explores how First Nations (the Canadian term that is approximately but not exactly equal to the US term "Native Americans") hunted buffalo (bison) in the days before firearms and horses. This is a wonderful little museum, and through a well done video and exhibits tells the tale of buffalo hunts. In essence, independent bands would gather near cliffs chosen for the correct geography to allow the possibility of spooking herds of bison down 'driving lanes' and over the cliffs to their deaths below. The people would then divide the meat among the various bands (and and preserve it), before dispersing back into the rive bottoms until the next 'hunt'.

Located a few miles off the main road north, just west of Fort MacLeod, the museum is built into the side of the cliff over which untold tens of thousands of bison fell to their deaths over thousands of years. You take an elevator up one floor to view a video, then up another three floors or so to view the clifftop. You then re-enter the museum, and wander through the exhibits as you work you way down, floor by floor.

Had a brief and OK lunch in the little snack shop in the museum, and headed off to Banff.

Days 13 and 14: Banff National Park - 110 miles local sightseeing.

Lodging here was another splurge: Fairmont Banff Springs. Let's just say: no complaints, and would stay here again (and again...). Had dinner in one of the many eating establishments in the hotel (Bow Valley Grill).

The first morning we asked the concierge to book us afternoon tea reservations at their sister property in Lake Louise, then took off to do some sightseeing. After a drive through Vermillion Lakes, we stopped at Johnston Canyon to get in some hiking. This is a slot canyon, with metal catwalks attached to the side of the canyon to provide an easy (if unnatural) walkway through the incredibly scenic gorge.

There are a number of waterfalls on the hike....

This is an in-and-out hike; after returning to the car we headed up to Chateau Lake Louise where Tea awaited:

Tea was excellent, and the view was spectacular. Took a few more photos then headed up the road to Moraine Lake, if possible even more scenic than Lake Louise.

The next day Linda decided she needed a 'spa day', so I was on my own. Wandered through town (I still can't quite adapt to the fact that some Canadian National Parks have actual towns right in the middle of them), enjoyed a cigar (or two), then took the gondola up to get a birds-eye view.

Got hungry, so decided to have 'lunch' up there.

That is poutine. A uniquely Canadian dish, originally from Quebec. French fries, cheese curds and a light gravy. Oh yeah! Goes real well with beer.

Back to the hotel, collected Linda and had a light dinner in the patio bar overlooking Tunnel Mountain and the Bow River.

That is a "Manhattan", in case you were wondering.

Enjoyed the town, REALLY enjoyed the hotel (helped that I was able to get 30% off by booking a 'senior special' ahead of time). Not a lot of wildlife spotted. Scenery was spectacular and would have enjoyed doing a little more hiking and spending a little more time; but Jasper beckoned...