1. Default Penn Fall Foliage Scenic Drives

Hi,

I live in Central NJ and I want to take a trip to Pennsylvania to take in the Fall Foliage. Can anyone suggest any places nice that are within a 4-5 hour drive? I am looking for scenic drives for myself and some fun activities for my 3 year old. I also would like some nice hotels and restaurants nearby (so not too rural).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Details, Details, and Deciding on the Fly

Where 4-5 hours will get you depends on where in 'central New Jersey' you're starting from, and where the best color will be depends on exactly when you'll be traveling. But four hours from, say, Trenton will get you anywhere in eastern Pennsylvania with ease. Since most of that, with the exception of the very southeast corner, is in the Appalachian Plateau or Valley and Ridge physiographic provinces, both of which will offer lush fall color, great hikes, and scenic vistas. This area is also a rabbit's warren of well maintained and interconnected back roads (I used to run road rallies through this area.) You really can't go wrong, so what I'd do is to drive to around the Lewisbrg-Sunbury area in the Susquehanna Valley and then meander the three-digit state highways to the north/east if the forests were still too green or to the south/west if they were too bare,

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Where 4-5 hours will get you depends on where in 'central New Jersey' you're starting from, and where the best color will be depends on exactly when you'll be traveling. But four hours from, say, Trenton will get you anywhere in eastern Pennsylvania with ease. Since most of that, with the exception of the very southeast corner, is in the Appalachian Plateau or Valley and Ridge physiographic provinces, both of which will offer lush fall color, great hikes, and scenic vistas. This area is also a rabbit's warren of well maintained and interconnected back roads (I used to run road rallies through this area.) You really can't go wrong, so what I'd do is to drive to around the Lewisbrg-Sunbury area in the Susquehanna Valley and then meander the three-digit state highways to the north/east if the forests were still too green or to the south/west if they were too bare,

AZBuck
    Hi AZ, thanks for your suggestions, I guess I should have provided dates. I am planning on driving out the weekend of Oct.12.

If you can give the names of any towns where to get the hotel, that would be great.

Default Finding a Sweet Spot

Given that you want to stay in a relatively small town "but not too rural" with good choices in motels and restaurants, and should plan to be at a nexus of Pennsylvania's secondary road network so that you can head in whatever direction you need to in order to find the best fall color, I'd suggest that you give serious consideration to the town of Tunkhannock at the junction of US-6, PA-309, PA-29, and PA-92.

AZBuck

5. Default

I think the town of Lock Haven may also be a good choice right? Is there anything there that you would recommend for scenic nature lovers? I have Hyner View State Park has nice views of the mountains and river.

Many years ago, I camped for a night in Hyner Run State Park. It was very enjoyable.

Default Loch Haven Works

In some ways it's even a shade better than my suggestion, Tunhannock. Yes, Loch Haven is roughly a hundred miles farther, but it's a slightly larger town and is deeper into the Ridge and Valley terrain, and you can see the Poconos around Tunhannock on your way to/from Loch Haven. Another place to be sure to include on your way in or out is the Delaware Water Gap NRA.

AZBuck