Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Floods

Default Colorado Floods

Rocky Mountain National Park is "incrementally" reopening today, but just about everything east of the Continental Divide is closed. Trail Ridge Road is open from Grand Lake to Estes Park, but the ONLY other way in and out of Estes Park is via CO-7/CO-72/CO-119/CO-279/Central City Pkwy to I-70. Estes Park is a mess, but it IS open. US-34 and US-36 to the east are closed indefinitely, as are all roads from 7/72/119 to the east till you get to I-70.

I-70 is open, but there are some lane closures due to flooding.

Maneuvering around the Front Range Boulder and north to northeast is difficult as many bridges have been washed out and roads destroyed.

Denver and south is pretty much unaffected but it will be months-to-years before Boulder and Weld counties will be moving as freely as before the flood.

In particular the exit for US34 off of I-25 is backing up 5-10 miles in either direction with sightseers and the extra traffic from other routes into Weld county that are no longer available. (makes my daily commute miserable during normal hours - doesn't seem to be jammed when it's fully dark like 0530)

Default Local report

Thanks for the local report. I've been in touch with friends in the Boulder area -- they report that it's not much fun trying to get around.

Mark

The road crews and road contractors are working hard to put things back together.

Co 119 westbound from I-25 has had the shoulder and right lane rebuilt and repaved and is now open. (that affected my commute)

US287 which was closed at the south end of Loveland for over a week has now reopened. I haven't driven across to see what they had to do but that's a major route and will take some of the pressure off of I-25.

The Governor has appointed a former business exec as a volunteer recovery coordinator and it appears that this may be one event where politics and pork barrel setasides might get set aside in the name of getting things done. (crossing my fingers anyway....)
    The objective is to get roads rebuilt to the point where they can be paved before winter really sets in. Paved roads can be plowed, dirt ones mostly can't. Even if the paving has to be redone later it needs to be done quickly to get us thru the winter.

The tourist town of Estes Park, the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, has restored unlimited access. The route is long because it begins in Central City far to the south. Co 119 north from there to Nederland (at the top of Boulder Canyon which is still closed) then Co 7 to Estes Park. The route runs at altitude 8,000' or more but is a pretty drive if you have the time.

I'm sure access is unlimited solely for the reason that the town lives from tourism. Kill access and you kill the town.

Yesterday a convoy of heavy road construction equipment passed over Trail Ridge Road in RMNP (US 34) from west to east to bring machinery to the Estes Park side of the road problems in US 36 and US34.

If you had reservations to stay there in the Fall for the aspen leaf season it would be critical to call ahead to be sure your accomodations are still standing. If they are, I'm sure they'd really like to see you there.

Default Estes Park in Autumn

Thanks for the posting of the latest information!

As you might know, at one point, there were over 1000 people missing in just one county -- Here's a field report about the Incident Command teams that were instrumental in finding all of those people. Read to the bottom of the article and learn about the aliens and the bunnies!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-26-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: article

Co Hwy 119 from Boulder to Nederland has reopened so the route to Estes Park is a bit shorter than before. State of Colorado is funding Rocky Mountain National Park operations so that RMNP can be open for the last few days of leaf peeping season and perhaps help Estes Park snag some tourist dollars.

Hwy 34 and 36 are still closed as is the road up Left Hand canyon to Jamestown.
    LOTS of work will be required to repair these routes.

My friend who was evacuated from Glen Haven is living in the YMCA at Estes Park. Kind of a challenge for an 80 yr old....

Thanks for the latest update.

That's got to be tough on your friend and many others who find themselves in a similar situation.

Dave.

US36 from Lyons to Estes Park is scheduled to open Monday Nov 4. This is one month ahead of schedule. I've not seen video by any news reporters as to the condition of the road that will be open. But this is really good news. Estes may not have gotten much tourist traffic from leaf peepers but they may make up for it on road damage looky-loos.

I haven't heard anything about how progress on US34 is coming along. (or anything from my friend since I heard where he's staying)

Last weekend I took a motorcycle ride to the closure on US34 west of Loveland and down to where Left Hand Canyon empties under US36 NW of Boulder.

Both areas were really impressive washouts. What formerly was probably nice shady ground among pine trees has had the soil scoured out and left behind rockfields and sandbars. And the length of the damage is really awesome.

US-34 through Big Thompson Canyon reopened yesterday. This leaves only one major highway still closed - CO-7 between Lyons and Raymond - which will be reopening November 26.

Note that all these repairs are temporary repairs, permanent repairs will still take years.