Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    erezb Guest

Default winter road trip!

hello there!

i am from israel and me and my friend want to come to the us to do a road trip for 3 month's (starting in dec. and finish in march.)
    we planing on starting in boston and finish in los angels.
    any advise about the best routh?
    thank you guys!

Welcome!

The "best" route is the route that takes you to the places that YOU want to see!

erezb Guest

haha, thanks.
    but is there somone how did somthing like that?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

GLC's answer might sound like a joke, but he's actually completely correct. There is no single "best" route or list of "best" places to go. The beauty of a roadtrip is that you get to go to the places that interest you, and on a trip that covers the entire US, the number of things you could see and do is in the millions!

The thing to do right now is get a map of the US, pick up a book or two, and spend time looking through websites, including Roadtrip America, and get some ideas of the places you want to see most.

Once you have an idea of what you want to see and do, beyond just your starting and ending points, then we can help you put it together and find additional things that you might enjoy.

Default That's right.

To confirm what Michael and glc have just posted about no 'best' route....

Next week I will be driving from Los Angeles to Boston. I have made this trip several times, east - west and west - east. Each time I have taken a different route. And this time, I am again looking at taking another route.

There is so much to see all across the US that even with three months, you will not see it all. I suggest you follow Michael's advice and do your research. Then come back to get the experts to help you refine your route.

Lifey

erezb Guest

canu estimate how much should it cost?

Cost is another area where there is no one answer, as it all depends upon what you choose to do, where you sleep, what you eat, what you drive, etc. If you want a number, $100 per day per person is a very rough estimate, but your actual costs could be less or much much more.

erezb Guest

Default Montreal to los angels

me and a friend of mean are planing a road trip from montreal to LA in early january.
    we wanred to know if its possible to buy a car in canda, cross the border to US and then sell it there.
    thanks!

Default Three Different Sets of Requirements

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm sure that there are, in fact, cars bought in Canada and eventually sold in the United States. However, I don't want to leave you with the impression that this is going to be an easy task. A car is not a car is not a car. Cars built to be sold in Canada must meet Canadian safety and emissions standards. Those are, however subtly, different from American standards. As just some simple examples: Canadian cars must come equipped with headlights that are automatically on during the day and their instruments must prominently display data in the metric system. (And a car sold in Montréal will likely be labeled in French as well!) Those won't prevent you from selling the car in the US, but it will make it a bit more problematic. Perhaps the biggest unknown is whether your Canadian car will meet US EPA emissions standards - and that's just the first step. California emission standards are stricter than even US standards and so you'll have to make sure that any car you buy in Canada will meet California standards. Since it's more expensive to build cars to meet the stricter California standards, there is no reason for the auto maker to go to that expense on a car he has no intention of ever selling in California. If you want to, it's up to you to make sure that it does meet those standards.

Then there's the whole cost effectiveness of buying a car for a single RoadTrip and then selling it. Remember that you will be buying retail and selling wholesale. depending on the make, model and year of the car, the difference could be several thousands of dollars. Far more than the cost of even a one-way rental. Generally it does not make economic sense to own a car for less than several months.

So, is it possible to buy a car in Canada, drive it to California, and resell it there - Yes. Is it going to be easy or cheap - Decidedly not.

AZBuck

I would recommend that you take the train from Montreal to Albany or NYC, then rent a car for dropoff in LA.