Default Moving from Seattle to Tampa

Hi!

My husband and I are moving to Tampa from Seattle the first week of October with our 2 labs. We're towing a 4x8 uhaul trailer and we're interested in going a southerly route....we've driven I-80 previously but neither of us has seen much of the SW.

We're planning to take I-5 down through California, but then we're debating between I-10 and I-40. Any suggestions?

My main concern is the inclines with the trailer - as few of those as possible would be great. :)
    Secondary concerns - border checks? I have no idea how extensive/common/etc those are.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Welcome to the RTA forum!

What are you using to tow the trailer and how much time do you have for this trip?

I-10 does stay at a lower elevation than I-40, although at the same time, the mountains you will deal with on I-40 really won't be much harder to deal with than what you'll see coming down the coast on I-5.

You are likely to see a couple of border patrol checkpoints on I-10, although that's not usually to big of a deal, other than the slight delay.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! :)

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox, FWD. It felt like we climbed forever going from Nebraska into Wyoming, so I'm kinda hoping to avoid something similar - which may or may not be possible.

Here is what I would do for a southern route in order to avoid major metro areas and their bad traffic.

Take I-5 to Lost Hills CA, then CA-46 to CA-99 to Bakersfield, then CA-58 to I-40.

Stay on I-40 all the way to Memphis, then take US-78/I-22 to Birmingham, US-65 to Montgomery, then US-231 to I-10.

Note that this is 3700 miles, 500 miles longer than taking the fastest route.