1. Default Phoenix to Vegas close to New Years

Hello, first post here. We are 2 couples coming from Europe. We land in Houston on December 23rd, but will probably head straight to New Orleans for a day and a half. From there i assumed it is best to fly into Phoenix. So in the morning of 26th we can start our road trip. We want to rent an SUV and return it in Vegas. Is flying into PHX the smart thing to do?

Can you please tell me what we can see (we would like to see the most we can, weather permitting) if we need to be in Vegas on 29th or 30th.

This area is so full of different valleys, monuments and canyons that i am lost here. Dont really understand what is worth visiting in this time of the year. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Flying into Phoenix or Las Vegas would work for you, and rent a vehicle at either place. If you're flying out of Las Vegas later, perhaps flying into LV would be a better choice as then you'd do a loop trip and return the rental car to the same place (avoiding one-way drop off fees).

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is the only national park rim that would be open at that time of year, and would be beautiful. There's also Sedona, Monument Valley (northeast corner of Arizona), Zion Canyon National Park (southwest Utah), and Bryce Canyon National Park (just north of Zion). If you have to be back in Las Vegas on the 29th or 30th, you could probably choose 2 of those.

Donna

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Flying into Phoenix or Las Vegas would work for you, and rent a vehicle at either place. If you're flying out of Las Vegas later, perhaps flying into LV would be a better choice as then you'd do a loop trip and return the rental car to the same place (avoiding one-way drop off fees).
    Donna
    the difference in car rental is 50$ (for 4 people is very small), but i thought that it is better drivingwise to fly into Phoenix.
    After New Years in Vegas we wanted to hire a new car (not an SUV anymore) and do a scenic drive all the way to San Francisco before flying out.

Default holiday

Quote Originally Posted by zik013 View Post
    We land in Houston on December 23rd, but will probably head straight to New Orleans for a day and a half.
    A couple thoughts here. First, we generally don't recommend trying to make a 5 hour drive, right after getting off a transatlantic flight. You really will have been traveling too long, and the jetlag really makes trying such a drive a very bad idea. The other problem is that almost everything in the US shuts down from Christmas Eve evening into Christmas Day. I'm not exactly sure how the tourist attractions of New Orleans handle this, but I'd do a little research and make sure the things you want to see and do will even be an option.

After New Years in Vegas we wanted to hire a new car (not an SUV anymore) and do a scenic drive all the way to San Francisco before flying out
    You really don't need an SUV to visit any of the areas you're talking about, and an SUV isn't really going to be any more helpful in Northern Arizona as it will on a drive to San Francisco. Considering the addition to your plan, I'd look at flying into Vegas and just renting one vehicle for your entire trip, both exploring the Grand Canyon and surrounding area, and the drive onto SF. It could result in lower rates, and you might want to have a car during your time in Vegas - which is not a city where a car is a must, but it can be useful.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    A couple thoughts here. First, we generally don't recommend trying to make a 5 hour drive, right after getting off a transatlantic flight. You really will have been traveling too long, and the jetlag really makes trying such a drive a very bad idea. The other problem is that almost everything in the US shuts down from Christmas Eve evening into Christmas Day. I'm not exactly sure how the tourist attractions of New Orleans handle this, but I'd do a little research and make sure the things you want to see and do will even be an option.

You really don't need an SUV to visit any of the areas you're talking about, and an SUV isn't really going to be any more helpful in Northern Arizona as it will on a drive to San Francisco. Considering the addition to your plan, I'd look at flying into Vegas and just renting one vehicle for your entire trip, both exploring the Grand Canyon and surrounding area, and the drive onto SF. It could result in lower rates, and you might want to have a car during your time in Vegas - which is not a city where a car is a must, but it can be useful.
    thanks for the advices. We will spend the night in Houston and then head to New Orleans. I have been to Vegas a couple of times and really dont see a need for a car there. The taxis are cheap, especially as there are 4 of us. Pay for a couple of extra days and the parking, may not be worth it.
    The important part is flying into Phoenix, as i thought it gives a better scenic route than the Vegas roundtrip.