Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default RV rental and west coast trip

Hi Guys and gals

We are just preparing a 40th birthday treat by touring the sanfransico loop ie Los angeles, grand canyon, sequoi parc then heading back to sanfransisco or dropping off to Los angeles.

We have been looking at Cruise america rentals and prices seem quite reasonable. we would get a taxi from the airport to the rental office.

They have offered us 1100 miles then afterwards we have to pay per mile.

Can anyone recomend the KOA sites?

If anyone can give more info that would be great.

Thanks

Tim

ps phweeee I typed this on a smart phone that took about an hour LOL

Default When? for how long? and why KOA?

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip forum.

This probably the most popular trip discussed on this forum. If you do a little search, you will get lots of ideas as to how others tackled this trip. Or you could go down to the bottom of this page and check out similar threads.

You do not say how long you have for this trip, and since you posted in Summer trips, I am assuming it is for next year. If this is the case I would highly recommend you check the availability of camping within the great National Parks. An experience like no other. KOA cannot compare.

Is there a particular reason why Yosemite is not on your schedule? It is on your route, and one of the great national parks of the southwest.

Lifey

There are great campgrounds and RV parks that are not KOA's. KOA's have a tendency to be expensive. To be sure, sometimes they are worthwhile. Other times, when you just want to pull into a place, hook-up to electricity and find a clean spacious shower, you could find a commercial RV park. There are atlases that focus on RV parks and campgrounds. Also, most state parks, national forests, and national parks have campgrounds. (You will have to book early for the Grand Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite.)

Do be sure that the price quoted to you by Cruise America includes the linen packs, cookware pack, and other necessities. You'll also want to ask the dealership for the nearest reasonably priced grocery store, if you plan to cook in the RV. (Highly recommended!)

Donna

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    There are great campgrounds and RV parks that are not KOA's. KOA's have a tendency to be expensive. To be sure, sometimes they are worthwhile. Other times, when you just want to pull into a place, hook-up to electricity and find a clean spacious shower, you could find a commercial RV park. There are atlases that focus on RV parks and campgrounds. Also, most state parks, national forests, and national parks have campgrounds. (You will have to book early for the Grand Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite.)

Do be sure that the price quoted to you by Cruise America includes the linen packs, cookware pack, and other necessities. You'll also want to ask the dealership for the nearest reasonably priced grocery store, if you plan to cook in the RV. (Highly recommended!)

Donna

Thanks for the advice already!!

We will be going end of April 2014 for 10 to 12 days.

I have read loads of really great threads on this subject but to be honest are deffuzled byt the wealth of info LOL.

Yes Yosemite is an option but isnt it similar to the Grand canyon?

Thanks

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timmos View Post
    Yes Yosemite is an option but isnt it similar to the Grand canyon?
    They are similar in that they are both National Parks, but that's kind of like saying Tokyo and London are similar because they are both cities!

Seriously, Grand Canyon and Yosemite are really very different in what makes them unique. They are just totally different landscapes, that really have very little in common. Yosemite is much more comparable to Sequoia, as they are both parks in the Sierra Nevadas, and Yosemite even has a grove of the Giant Sequoia trees. Even there, Yosemite and Sequoia have plenty of differences between them.

I would highly recommend you spend a little time on the National Parks website looking at Yosemite, as well as Sequoia and the Grand Canyon, and see exactly what makes these parks special.

6. Default

HI Chaps

So we are still trying to get info together. My wife likes the idea of a Baseball game, and I like the idea of the Hoover dam.

I have been looking at RV rental ie cruise america ( any opinions )

KOA campsites look fairly well organised, and do you reckon that we can just turn up and get on site? or would we be better to pre book?

Thanks

ps If we have the RV do campgrounds offer a shuttle service into the big cities?

Default Stay in the parks.

Cruise America is probably the biggest of them all when it comes to RV rentals and service will change from office to office. We dealt with them for the Denver office and were most impressed with their service and the RV was in good shape. When you price compare make sure you are taking all the extras into consideration like bathroom and bedroom kits, mileage charges, prep fees and check the 'bottom line'. Cruise America always seem to be competitive in their pricing. When you go their homepage make sure you check out the 'Hot deals' link, they often offer free nights or extra miles on rentals.

Some City RV parks have free shuttle bus service, but you need to check out which do and which don't and at least know you are near public transport.

KOA's do not appeal to me in the slightest but many people use them. They remind me of the 'McDonalds' of camping, a brand that works, but looks the same wherever. I prefer private sites outside of the parks but I would 100% use National park campgrounds when visiting them. They are set among nature in wonderful surroundings and would save you the hassel of driving many miles in and out of them and having to queue at the entry kiosks. These would need booking at the earliest possible time for the summer season, they are extremely popular and limited in numbers. You can get all the info at nps.gov and select the park you want info on.

Note that if you are an International visitor you can't pick up the RV the same day you arrive in the country. You might get an idea of what camping in the parks is like from this thread.

My wife likes the idea of a Baseball game
    I'd try to get to a game in San Francisco, if it works into your schedule. AT&T Park, home of the Giants, really is one of the best ballparks in all of baseball. You'd also have options in Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, and Phoenix. Oakland also has a team, but its one of the worst parks in baseball. You might also consider going to a minor league game - there are lot of teams in California - for an entirely different, and cheaper, experience.

9. Default HAs anyone got any maps and itinery please for california

Hi

We are looking to do the great west california ( like 17000 people on this forum), I have read thousands of pages etc and decided that perhaps the RV route isnt the best option for us. But perhaps Car/hotel rental is the way forward. Either way we are flying into either los angeles or San francisco ( open to ideas) and then onto Yosemite, grand canyon las vegas etc etc

We have 2 weeks to do it and we are only 2.

Really apreciate your opinions good or bad.

Thanks

Mod note] Please keep all questions regarding this trip here. Thank you.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-13-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Merged.

10. Default

Hi

We are looking to do the great west california ( like 17000 people on this forum), I have read thousands of pages etc and decided that perhaps the RV route isnt the best option for us. But perhaps Car/hotel rental is the way forward. Either way we are flying into either los angeles or San francisco ( open to ideas) and then onto Yosemite, grand canyon las vegas etc etc

We have 2 weeks to do it and we are only 2.

Really apreciate your opinions good or bad.

Thanks
    Hi Timmos,

It might help to know all the places you want to visit and what time of the year you are planning this trip. Are you just using SF or LA as starting points to fly into or did you plan to visit both cities because Las Vegas might be a better starting option.

Utahtea