1. Default LA - Vegas- san diago- La

After my trip to the us last year were i did la-vegas-sanfran-la and such great advice i received from rta contributers i am once again coming over to the us 4/10/13 for 2 weeks my trip details this year looking like fly into la 1 night then off to vegas 4 nights then i intend ending up in san diago via monument valle area then back to la 2 weeks later any advice on places to stay on route would be gratefully received many thanks Ian

i actually laughed when was told that the Tioga pass might not be doable through yosemite because of snow ,guess what all passes were closed and ended up at lake tahoe and a night in sacremento but that taught me to listen to people who actually know the areas
    anyway i digress thanks in advance

Tucson, AZ

Default What Else?

There's quite a bit worth seeing in the area you'll be traveling through, and with a week to be on the road (figuring a week or so in L.A., L.V., and S.D.). Let's start with your first major decision. You did not mention seeing the Grand Canyon. That is either a huge oversight or you've already seen it and don't necessarily want to go back. If the first is true, then you should plan on heading south from Las Vegas, over the Hoover Dam (actually the new bridge), to Kingman and Williams AZ, then up through the park along the South Rim, exiting on the east side near Cameron. From there, it's an up and back to Monument Valley.

If you have seen the Canyon and want something else this time, then leave Las Vegas to the northeast on I-15 to Washington UT and take UT-9 over to Zion National Park, then continue eastward on UT-9 to US-89 south to Page AZ and AZ-98 through the Navajo Nation to US-160 up to Monument Valley. When done there return on US-160 to Cameron AZ.

Whichever way you go, on your return to Cameron, continue south on US-89 to Flagstaff. There, take Alt-AZ-89 south through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona and hike through some of the stunning red rock canyons. AZ-179 will then take you down to I-17 and Phoenix. From Phoenix, the best way to San Diego is to start out on I-10 west to Buckeye and there use AZ-85 to drop down to I-8. Worth a stop: The Arizona Territorial Prison in Yuma.

For all there is to see and do in San Diego, there's really not much between there and Los Angeles. Beaches, of course, but well-populated ones. A large chunk of that coast is taken up by a major Marine training base, so although the coast looks empty between Oceanside and San Clemente on many maps, that is deceptive - you can't get off I-5 through there.

So there's some basic routes and a starter set of attractions for you. What other kinds of stops were you looking for?

3. Default

I thanks for the reply yes i did forget to mention that we had seen and done the grande canyon as we have been to the area 3 times, so this time had another look on the map and looks like LV- Kanab with a stop over there, and then as your directions from MV-SD-LA.
    Question is is a stop in kanab a good idea and from mon valley -sd a stop in phoenix looks good and anywere else you could suggest to stop over between monu valley and san diago thanks in advance Ian

Green County, Wisconsin

Kanab is about the halfway point between , so it makes a good stopping point, and as long as you leave early in the day, you should have time to explore Zion as Buck suggested.

If you don't want to do any exploring, you could drive from Vegas to MV in one relatively long day on the road.