1. Default California to south dakota

Hello, I will be pulling a RV for the first time, leaving northern california and going to south dakota, looking for the best route. would prefer no big cities and as little climbing mountains as possible.. any advise?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I'm not much of an expert on these forums but I was previously looking at doing a trip around these areas myself before changing and deciding to do the south.

In order to advise a route it's probably important to find out what the purpose of the trip is going to be and the interests of those going on the trip.

From what I can see, your only conditions are avoiding bigger cities and mountains, but what is it that you want to actually see? If you just want a simple route from A to B then I'd say going through Northern Nevada to Salt Lake City and then continuing on the highway through Wyoming would do the job?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default information is key

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As Clay mentioned, there are a ton of factors that go into a "best route," and at this point, we don't even have a good idea of where you are starting and ending - "Northern California" and "South Dakota are pretty huge places!

If you are just looking to get from the Bay Area to Rapid City as fast and as flat as possible, the the key is to stick to the Interstates as much as you can. That means I-80 all the way to Wyoming, and then cut north. The one exception is that near Salt Lake City, you'd want to take a slight detour on I-15 to I-84, to avoid a particularly steep climb on I-80 east of SLC.

But I would hope there is more to your first RV adventure than just racing halfway across the country as fast as you can....

Joplin MO

Also - how big is the RV and what are you towing it with?