Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default Cheaper car rental

For those looking at rental car prices, check out Auto Europe car rentals. Auto Europe are a world wide car rental broker. They dont own any cars themselves i believe. On advice from a friend that had used them 3 times without a problem, I also used them. By all means check out all the rental co's but then check out Auto Europe. They have prices for the same cars you may have already looked at elsewhere. The car may be at Alamo or Dollar etc. All the insurances are included except the roadside assistance one. Once paid for, you just turn up at the the place where the car is. In my case, it was Dollar. I took the roadside assistance insurance which was a option. I was offered a upgrade but declined. I had read that you can get caught out by taking the upgrade. You then end up paying there prices if you do that. I had no problems at all. Car was great and i had nothing to worry about. Best part was i saved a few hundred dollars over a 5 week rental. Exact amount, i would have to find paper work which escapes me at the moment.
    Hope this is a help to someone. Cheers. Keith

Default Thanks for the news

Keith,

Thanks for this report.

For my money, I still choose National Car Rental -- better maintenance and, in my experience, a larger range of cars available -- but using a broker, like this one, is often a good way to go.

Mark

Mark,

I agree with you about National. I used them the previous trip and more than happy. This time i went through the broker and was very happy with the saving over 5 weeks. Depending on what car you want to rent, it could be possible to still get one from National through Auto Europe.
    Keith

Something else to look at - go directly to budget.com to check rates and booking, choose the country you are from. You may get a substantial discount in some locations.

Default Another possible saving for non-resident roadtrippers.

Have just booked my car from Tallahassee to Ft Lauderdale, after I drop off my van and head to daughter's place before flying into LAX - and home. I do not often rent a vehicle, and when I do it is usually for a week or less. Have always gone with Budget Rent a Car as they have always been the cheapest. Never knew why. It also puzzled me why Budget rarely came up in search functions.

This time friend and I discovered why.

At Budget.com enter the relevant place, date and time, then there is a drop down box under 'I live in...' If you leave this on the default (US), the smallest, cheapest vehicle will come up $88.61 including fees and taxes (but not insurance). Using the same place, date and time information, but changing US to Australia, and the cost for the same vehicle is tax and fee free, $41.60 including all insurance.

I do recall using this function on previous rentals, including the 28 days when I took the car from Seattle to AK and back. But I had never seen how the price differed from other countries, including the US. I had always just selected Australia.

This function is available to residents from a whole list of countries. I do not know how the fees, taxes, insurance or even the basic charges vary with each country. But for those who come to the US for a road trip, it seems like something worth checking out.

Lifey

Edit: I see... great minds think alike. LOL

Interesting. I just did comparison and added $10 a day on to the Auto Europe one for roadside assistance as they dont supply that part. The budget one is $7 a day. Worked it out over the same number of days on the same dates and the broker was still hundreds of dollars cheaper. That was over 35 days from end of sept. hope to be back in 12 months and i will certainly check them all out.
    Still sorting pics from this last one. Keith

Default Italian versus USA pricing

And I know that rental car places charge individuals based on where they live. A couple of years ago, I was in Italy and reserved a car to be picked up in Germany, because I knew that Italians often get a better rate than Americans. When I arrived at the car rental place in Germany -- they refused to let me have the rental at the Italian price because I was carrying an American passport....

I eventually worked things out.... but it is a gamemanship issue.

Mark