Default South Bend, IN to Phoenix

We are snow birds that leave for Phoenix on January 1st. A three day trip through St. Louis, Oklahoma City, and Albuquerque. We would like to add a day maybe two and see something different this time. We are considering southern Colorado if the weather permits but would like some input from others.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Would Be Far Better

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You are already pushing the limits by making the drive from South Bend to Phoenix in only three days. That alone requires you to cover more than 600 miles a day, farther than we (or the National Transportation Safety Board) consider safe. If you are going to add more miles to your trip and want to see a few things, then you will probably need to add two full days, one to cover more miles in total while lowering your per day drives to something more reasonable, (like 500-550) and a second to spend sight-seeing spread over those five days in transit.

What I'd suggest for a route is to head straight west on I-80, following the old Oregon Trail alignment through Nebraska, then cut down on I-76 to US-34 and Rocky Mountain National Park. From there, continue on US-34 and US-40 to CO-9 south, I-70 west and CO-91/US-24/US-285 south through Leadville to Poncha Springs. At this point you have a choice. You can take US-50 west through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to US-550 (the 'Million Dollar Highway') south to Durango, or you can stay on US-285 to Del Norte and US-160 west over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango. From Durango you'd then take US-160 past Mesa Verde National Park to Four Corners and Monument Valley and on into Flagstaff before finishing up in Phoenix.

On second thought, Maybe you might want to add a third day to really explore and snowy some of those sights.