We had hoped to visit re-visit the USA last October, but life has a habit of getting in the way of the best laid plans and we have had the road trip itch ever since, but still had not been able to commit for various reasons. That all changed just 2 weeks ago and a window of opportunity opened up, things fell into place and I booked flights into Vegas. I had had a lot of ideas floating around in my head for potential trips, far too many in fact, so the last 2 weeks have been a little hectic narrowing down my options.
With such short notice and the fact there will be just Lezli and I travelling this time, the RV lifestyle we like so much was decided against due to costs [big difference with 2 travellers rather than 4] and campground availability being a potential problem in the NP's at such short notice, so a rental car was booked. A road I have wanted to drive for a quite some time that is not possible in an RV due to lenght restrictions, is the Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP, so with no RV, now seemed like an ideal time to scratch that particular itch. To have any chance of making this possible we have to be in Glacier NP before Sept 22nd when it closes for the season, [Unless the weather beats us to it that is !] so we are also travelling 4-6 weeks earlier than we normally do, flying in on Sept 2nd, 10 days Yikes !
We are going to spend a couple of nights in Vegas [one full day] to adjust and then hit the road. Some of you may have already worked it out, we don't do Interstate and prefer seeing more from the Highways and Byways, so we plan to take 4 or 5 days getting up to Glacier on US93 through the Great Basin and into Idaho. Places we want to visit on the way include Cathedral Gorge, Great Basin NP, Shoshone Falls, Craters of the Moon and the National Bison Range. Places on the 'maybe, maybe not' list depending on time, include Echo Canyon, Spring Valley and Cave Lake SP's in Nevada, Bonneville Salt Flats, Big hole National Battlefield, Nine Pipe refuge and Kerr dam/Flathead Lake, as well as taking time in places like Salmon and Missoula to look around.
The pace should then settle a little as we spend 2 or 3 nights around Glacier NP [I managed to book 1 night in the park] before heading to Yellowstone NP. I have been visiting the NP lodging page frequently for the past 10 days or so and have managed to secure 3 nights in the park due to their cancellation policy, although it means 1 night in Canyon lodge [a cabin] then to Grant village for a night and then back to Canyon for another cabin. Of course the Beartooth highway is high on the agenda !
From here the plan is to head to Capital Reef/Torrey with an overnight stay at Flaming Gorge Res to break the journey while still avoiding Interstate and then travel along Utah scenic 12 once more with a quick visit to Bryce on route to Jacob Lake. I have managed to secure a cabin at Jacob Lake Inn for 2 nights giving us a little time to explore the area, relax and visit the North rim before heading back to Vegas via Valley of Fire. I think Antelope canyon, Horseshoe bend, Lake Powell will be set aside for another time so that we are not rushing too much at the end of the trip. Marble canyon and Coral Pink sand dunes may be on the agenda.
We fly out on the 19th and arrive home on the 20th Sept.
I can't think of any specific questions at the moment, but any comments or suggestions will be taken on board and appreciated.