1. Default Florida to California

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to be making the journey from SW Florida to Los Angeles with my two daughters (6 and 9). We've done this drive before but with my husband. This will be my first road trip just the girls and I. It's also likely to be the last time we'll make this journey as we'll be moving overseas next year. I don't have time constraints, although I'd like to do the drive in under 7 days.

Any suggestions on must-see places? We've already been to the Grand Canyon. I'd like to do Carlsbad caverns in NM but otherwise have no itinerary.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Tucson, AZ

Default Not a Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Tampa/St. Pete to Los Angeles can be driven comfortably in about four and a half days at a steady pace. With seven days or so for the journey, you'll have plenty of time to take it easy and see some sights. You have a choice between two basic routes since you want to include Carlsbad Caverns.

The 'northern' route would follow I-10 out of Florida to Mobile AL, then use US-98 up to Hattiesburg MS and US-49 to Jackson MS and I-20 west. At Big Spring TX, you'd use US-87 north to US-180 west to Whites City, where the entrance to the caverns is. Afterwards, you'd just continue on US-180 to El Paso, get on I-10 and follow that all the way to Los Angeles. Highlights of this route would include Vicksburg MS and Dallas TX.

The 'southern' route would follow I-10 west all the way to Fort Stockton TX and then use US-285 up to US-180 to Whites City. Eddy County route 720 is a shortcut that saves maybe a dozen miles. After the caverns, you'd continue on US-180 to El Paso as above. Highlights of this route would include Houston and San Antonio.

The two routes are only about 35 miles different in total length, and whichever one you choose the western portion, which could include Tombstone, Tucson and Phoenix would be the same. Also, whichever way you decide to go, it's easy to include restful stops every few hours that your girls would enjoy. So have a look at some maps with them and decide which way you'd rather go and then we'll be in a much better position to offer specific tips tailored to your (and their) interests and chosen route.