1. Default Saratoga to Hilton Head

We are driving to Hilton Head, SC from Saratoga , NY. We are staying overnight somewhere in Northern Virginia. We don't like to drive at night. What time should we leave so we don't hit traffic in DC or Baltimore?

Tucson, AZ

Default Avoid Them Altogether

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If your purpose in driving is just to get from Saratoga to Hilton Head, and you have no desire to stop anywhere in the New York-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington corridor, then I'd just skip them all, and I-95 as well, and go by a more scenic and relaxed route. Yes, head down the Thruway to the New York area, but take I-287 around the city to the west and depart the metro area on I-78 west. That will take you to near Harrisburg PA and I-81 south. Follow that all the way down into southern Virginia and pick up I-77 south to Columbia SC and I-26 to the coast. That adds maybe 50-75 miles but will make the drive vastly more enjoyable. Midway would be around Harrisonburg or Staunton VA both of which would offer a good range of lodgings.

Joplin MO

Add 10 more miles to Buck's recommendation and avoid all of the NYC metro - take I-84 off the Thruway to Scranton to I-81. Add 10 more miles to that and take I-88 from Albany to Binghamton to pick up I-81. That would eliminate almost all tolls too.

Southern California

Two years ago, Staunton's EconoLodge was a good overnight place for us. The price was reasonable, it was clean and comfortable. There were several other choices there, too.