Default Newbie... relocating the family from chicago to seattle late august 2013 I-90 ?

Hi... it will be four of us in a Toyota camry ...I suspect it is a straight run on I 90 and approx. a five day trip
    Open to any advice you can offer...we have only done Orlando runs previously ; this is our first time heading West
    Movers taking our 'stuff' so we want to enjoy time as much as possible; thanks in advance for any guidance.

Joplin MO

Welcome (from a former Batavia resident)!

How many days can you actually allow? A straight through trip on I-90 is approximately 2100 miles and would take 4 days, driving about 10 to 12 hours a day including nominal food, bathroom, and rest stops.

Tucson, AZ

Default Maybe I-94 Instead

This year's Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will be held from August 5th to the 11th. This will entail thousands of extra vehicles on I-90 and surrounding roads both for the duration of the rally and a day or two on either side of those dates. It could be something you'd really like to see or it could be something you'd rather avoid, including the larger crowds at restaurants and popular tourist sites. If your own travel dates coincide at all with the Sturgis event, you might want to consider using I-94 through North Dakota rather than I-90 through South Dakota. There's barely any difference in overall distance.

With five days to drive what can be done in four, you clearly have time to visit some sites along the way. Although you won't really be able to spend a full day at any major stop, you could make a couple of short stops each day to break up the drive.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-04-2013 at 01:54 PM.