Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It can be done.

Moderator Note: This thread is a continuation of a discussion that started here.

Dave is of course, quite right. My response was purely about the 'safety' of a female overnighting at truck stops.

On the other hand, with a little bit of ingenuity, it is possible to be very comfortable in a smaller vehicle. (Mine has a bed, fridge and storage as well as a camp stove.)

Recently I have seen two instances of people sleeping in smaller vehciles, probably as small or smaller than a Yaris. One was a very small SUV, a bit like the Yaris. Only the driver seat was still in the car. On the passenger side there were storage containers with a small single mattress on top. May not suit a six footer, but the owner was far from six feet. This was a roadtripper who had it all worked out.

Another was a sedan, Toyota if I recall correctly. It had somehow the passenger seat down and its owner slept with feet into the trunk storage space. Have to say it looked pretty comfortable with a full length mattress on which to sleep. Unfortunately, this person was forced to live in a vehicle, having lost everything else.

It can be done, but I agree with Dave that you need to be comfortable to get a good night's sleep.

Lifey
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-01-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Recently I have seen two instances of people sleeping in smaller vehciles, probably as small or smaller than a Yaris. One was a very small SUV, a bit like the Yaris.
    Just so you know, Lifey, the Yaris is a subcompact sedan. It's also the smallest car that Toyota sells in the US, so you might be thinking of another model if you think it's like a small SUV. I'm not even sure there would be 6 feet from the dashboard to the back of the trunk.

If the OP is a very small person, it might be doable, but it would be very tough to make it comfortable. Probably the bigger point, with the budget available for this trip, I don't see why such steps would really be necessary.

She must be thinking of the Matrix, RAV4, or Venza.

Yaris:

Attachment 3635

Not exactly big.....our neighbor a few doors down owns one, I believe....I wouldn't want to try to sleep in it overnight, and I've always had to stand in the front rows in photos unless there were kids in the pic.

Donna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Badging.

Of course you may all be right. Many companies badge their vehicles differently on different continents. I know from experience that both Mercedes and Subaru do.

All I know about the Yaris is that I once went to buy one. Changed my mind and settled on the much bigger (and twice as expensive) Subaru Outback. However, the Outback at home is very different from the Outback here. It is higher, longer and ONLY comes in a stationwagon. Whereas in North America I have seen the Outback as a sedan, hatchback and stationwagon. The Outback stationwagon my daughter in law in Boston has is no where near as big as mine. Vehicles badged as Outback on the North American continent are more like the Subaru Liberty downunder.

So yes, the Yaris may indeed be smaller than I envisage. That said, I have seen some interesting configurations along the way. Some I would never recommend to anyone, but others were quite ingenious.

Lifey

I'd be really curious if your Australia Outback is much different than a current model of the US Outback.

The Outback in the US has only been available as a "Crossover" (aka a raised wagon) for a few years now. Previous versions were smaller and also available as a sedan, but that was retired here quite a while ago. Both versions of the Outback should be virtually identical to the Liberty (known as the Legacy outside of Australia), except that the Outback has a more raised suspension/seating position. I don't believe the Legacy is available as a Hatch or Wagon in the US anymore either, even though it is elsewhere in the world.

The biggest differences in models more often is the powertrain. North American drivers usually get left out in the cold when it comes to diesel engines and manual transmissions, much to my frustration!

Default Diesel.

I really don't know why deisel has never really caught on in family cars in the US, I thought they would have been ideal for the huge distances and elevations found there, especially with the modern diesel engines mftrs are putting out here in Europe. VW/Audi/BMW, even Ford, are making some amazing units with incredible all round performance and great returns on the mpg. I had a brand new diesel powered Volvo V70 for a few weeks, [ a rental after our car was involved in an accident] and the numbers were quite amazing ! It was a top of the range twin turbo and it produced 202bhp and took this huge car to 60mph in 7.5 seconds, but even more impressively, for 'drivability', it produced 310lb ft of Torque yet it still produced 40+mpg without really trying. It was a very quiet unit and with WOT it made a lovely 'warble' like sound. I've never been a fan of the 'oil burners' but they are hard to ignore thses days. The smaller units are quiet, powerful and can return 60-70mpg !

Are there any signs of the diesel being taken seriously and making headway in the States ?

Diesels have had a hard time getting a foothold here because of government regulations, specifically California's emmissions laws. Basically, diesels couldn't be sold in California, so companies didn't make or offer them.

New Diesel technology is starting to change that, at least to a degree. Right now, VW is still the only major car maker selling a diesel car in the US, however, I know for a fact that GM is getting ready to release a diesel version of the Chevy Cruze. I am also pretty sure that Mazda is working to bring its diesel technology into the US in the next year or so. There may be some others, especially on the luxury end of the spectrum, so it's coming, just very slowly.

It's the emissions issue. The current regulations are choking the diesel market, especially in trucks. All the modifications required are causing reliability issues and are impacting on fuel mileage - plus adding thousands to the cost.

GLC speaks the truth. We have a 99 Ford diesel truck, and before that, we had a 94. (Donna's later correction: Hubby says it was a 93.) California had the emissions issue and changed the formula for diesel fuel which made us lose at least 2 mpg on the 94. (When one is only getting 15 mpg, 2 mpg makes a big difference!) We also had to make a modification to help it run better on the new formulation. With the 99, we don't have these issues.

Biggest aggravation: when we purchased our first diesel pickup, diesel was cheap fuel. Now it's often on a par with either mid-grade or premium, price-wise. Our current diesel price is $3.93/gallon. To compare, current unleaded price is $3.79, midgrade is $3.89, and premium is $3.99 (all prices for cash/debit card, add 6c a gallon for credit price).

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 08-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.