Default Advice and idea's on 2014 roadtrip. Vegas-Bryce-MV-Vegas.

My daughter and I are planning a road trip for July 2014 (we like to plan ahead ;-)). We have 21 days for our trip and want to use 8-9 days for our road trip. After that we fly to New Orleans (4 days), and then fly to New York for the remainder of our vacation. We have been looking for a road trip and we have come up with 2 possibilities, and would love to get your input and idea's where to go and stay. We are not interested in any hiking ( maybe ATV in Bryce ), just drive and visit sites and attractions.

Option 1:
    1- Copenhagen-Las Vegas
    2- Las Vegas (pick up car)
    3- I-15 (20 and 89) to Bryce Canyon
    4- Scenic road 12 towards Hanksville (stay at motel in the area)
    5- 95-261- Moki Dugway to Monument Valley.
    6- Monument Valley to Page
    7- Page to Las Vegas
    8- Las Vegas (drop off car)
    9- Fly to New Orleans

Option 2:
    Day 1 to 5 is the same as Option 1.
    6- Monument Valley to Kingman
    7- Kingman - Grand Canyon west rim skywalk - Las Vegas
    8- Las Vegas (drop off car)
    9- Fly to New Orleans

We could take a day extra somewhere if necessary, so we fly to New Orleans on day 10.
    4 years ago we visited the Grand Canyon south rim, and drove from Williams - Seligman (route 66 )- Kingman. but we did not visited the west rim and skywalk, something we regret.

We would love to hear any idea's, what to see, spend (more ) time, and where to stay.

Thanks.
    Regards Eric.

Default No wrong choice.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You really don't have a wrong choice and it purely comes down to which option appeals to you the most. A couple of thoughts I had when reading your options is firstly, where is Zion NP ? It's a wonderful NP and right on the way to Bryce canyon. Secondly, having seen the 'real thing', I'm not sure missing out on the Skywalk last trip will be such a regret if you see it this time. It's expensive compared to the NP and doesn't offer the same magnificent views, hence the reason to build the 'Skywalk' to attract tourists.

Between Torrey and Hanksvulle is Capital Reef NP and near the bottom of the Moki you will find Goosenecks SP, which is worth the short detour to see the river meander through the rocks.

Near Page you have the likes of Antelope canyon, Lake Powell, Glen canyon etc. So if it were I, and considering I had visited the south rim already, option 1 would appeal more to me and with an extra day if possible and make room for Zion NP. Don't forget that you also have the option of visiting the quieter North rim of the Grand canyon NP which to me is far more appealing than the west rim.

Thanks Dave. The reason why I didn't mention Zion NP is because I thought it was more for the hiking kind of people, and we are far from that ;-). The Capital Reef NP looks nice and you drive trough it so that would be a nice place to stretch our legs. I can see your point for option 1 and add a day to see Zion NP on the way back to Vegas. Do you know if there are any motels along the scenic rd 12 and the 95/261 or is Hanksville the best choice to spend the night?

Zion is very popular with hikers, however you don't have to be hikers to enjoy it. The free shuttle buses take you into the canyon area and you can do anything from a 10min stroll to the Virgin River to day hikes that include IN the Virgin river. Wildlife is abundant and the red canyon walls towering around you is quite something !

Zion NP.

From the lovely little town of Springdale.

Hanksville is well positioned for an ovenight stop, especially with a drive through Capital Reef, but don't expect much more than a bed for the night, it's a small remote town ! Torrey has more lodging options and could work well if you were to visit Zion, stay in Springdale and then visit Bryce on route to Torrey. If you don't mind a long day on the road [it won't seem long with the scenery and short stops keeping you amazed!] you could get from Bryce canyon [if you stop there] to Monument valley same day even when using scenic 12.

Another option would be to stop over in Mexican Hat from Bryce and then you could drive to Monument valley and onto Page the same day.

Gooseneck State park near Mexican Hat.

A 30 min round detour will reward you with views like this a few steps from the car.

We don't mind a long drive at all, and we think about spending the night in Bryce and the next day head for Monument Valley, but I was wondering with driving the scenic road 12, stretching our legs at Capital Reef NP, Moki Dugway, and then to MV, can we make that in one day? Are there Motels or other Lodging facilities on the 95 or the 261 between Hanksville and Mexican Hat? Otherwise Dave, your idea has got us convinced that this will be a great route to take.

There are no lodging facilities that I'm aware of between Hanksville and Mexican Hat.

Default Halls Crossing ?

It would be doable to get from Bryce to MV but it would be 7 hours [plus] driving taking this scenic route, add a little time at Capital Reef etc and it could easily turn into a 10/12 hour day, but a very good day on the road !

The only place I know of that might have lodgings is if you detoured to Bullfrog Marina [Halls Crossing] taking UT276 from US95, I know there is an RV park there and seem to recall other lodging options.

Here you go, Defiance house lodge Bullfrog has rooms, but quite pricey.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 08-04-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added link

That's quite a detour - it wouldn't take much longer to get to Mexican Hat. If you do go to Bullfrog, you either have to retrace your steps or take a ferry to get back to 95.