1. Default Cross country trip

My husband and I have been married 49yrs and have always wanted to make an across country trip. We are to leave the last of August. However my husband just found out he has breathing problems. He has to go for more tests and unfortunately he doesn't see the doctor till the 24th. We were originally going the northern route through the rockies and were planning on seeing the national parks. However the doctor doesn't want him going over the rockies. We want to still go across country but now need to find low elevations to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are flexible and don't necessarily need to see the national parks. Thank you for your help

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're going to have to give us a little more information and specifics. Where are you starting from, and where you you hope to end up? What kind of elevations are going to be problematic?

The reality is that you can't drive from coast to coast without crossing mountains, and going up to about 5000 feet in elevation. Your lowest option on a "northern" route would be via I-90, which briefly goes over 6000 feet in Montana, with most of that portion of the drive in the 4000-5000 feet range.

3. Default

We are starting in ohio. Would like to end in seattle, wa. Dr only said to go a low elevation route.

Tucson, AZ

Default Lowest is Still Over a Mile High

The lowest elevation route across the northern Rockies is I-90 which reaches a maximum elevation of 6,329 ft. while crossing Homestake Pass just east of Butte, Montana. That is a bit over a mile high, but still lower than the elevation to which commercial airlines pressurize their cabins. You should check with your doctor as to whether that is acceptable or whether you should get supplemental oxygen for the higher portions of your trip.

5. Default

Thank you very much for your help. Is yellowstone park completely out of the question? We would love to see the national parks

Joplin MO

The average elevation in Yellowstone is 8000 feet. Speak with your doctor about oxygen.

Tucson, AZ

Default Still Higher

The lowest point in Yellowstone is 7,733 ft. above sea level and the average elevation of the park is around 8,000 ft. Again, whether that is within your husband's capabilities is up to his doctor.